Moodle Install and Upgrade Saga - Part 2

Moodle Install and Upgrade Saga - Part 2

by Gary Evans -
Number of replies: 1

Resolved previous issue trying to upgrade from Moodle 2.3.2 (new install a few days ago – no courses, users etc set up yet) to 3.0.3 – needed small edit to .htaccess to enable php 5.5.

Now moved past that error message to a screen indicating that I am in Maintenance Mode and that I am about to automatically upgrade to v3.0.3 (+ a warning that cannot go back). Clicked continue to begin the upgrade - sequence of events detailed below (sorry, but it is quite long!!!):

1)      Server Checks – 2 items with status “Check” (php_setting – opcache.enable + unsupported_db_table_row_format) + message confirming “Your server environment meets all minimum requirements” in a reassuring green colour. I presumed that the 2 items flagged were optional and/or could be resolved later, so I clicked ‘Continue’.

2)      Plugins Check

a.       Unavailable missing dependencies – “Not in the Plugins directory: mod_feedback, mod_glossary, mod_forum, mod_quiz, mod_data, mod_assign”

b.       Plugins requiring attention – 381 out of 381! I have not installed any plugins, so assume part of core install. Under heading ‘Source/Status’ most items showed “Standard – To be upgraded”,  “Standard – To be installed” or “Standard – To be deleted”. These messages suggest will be fixed as part of upgrade (or perhaps I am naïve).

c.       Plugins requiring attention – 2 types of message were more concerning “Standard – Missing from disk!” and for 8 of the items that were “Standard – To be upgraded” there was a warning in ‘Requires’ column that “Fails – Unavailable”

d.       Clicked ‘Check for available updates’ button - apart from adding a message conforming when last check was run, it didn’t seem to do anything

e.       Not seeing what else I could do from this screen, I clicked ‘Upgrade Moodle database now’

3)      Plugin Dependencies Check – items flagged as “Fails – Unavailable” stopped me in my tracks as it warns that must solve before proceeding (block_feedback, block_glossary_random, block_news_items, block_quiz_results, block_search_forums, filter_data, filter_glossary, tool_assignmentupgrade)

Just a thought, but before starting upgrade I moved all content of Moodle folder into a folder called ‘oldmoodle’ – do I need to copy back plugins from here? I couldn’t find a folder called plugins or similar, but I noted:

1) oldmoodle/mod contains folders which mirror the “Standard – Missing from disk!” entries (these sub-folders do NOT exist under moodle/mod though) – do I just copy folders + contents over e.g. oldmoodle/mod/assign to moodle/mod/assign?

2)      2) Sub-folders of oldmoodle that mirror the “Fails – Unavailable” entries – do I just copy folders + contents over e.g. oldmoodle/blocks/feedback to moodle/blocks/feedback? These folders DO already exist under moodle and contain a single php file with filename as per folder it sits in + for some also a sub-folder called ‘backup’. If I copy over, this will overwrite those php files and any backup folder that already exists – is that OK? NB – I haven’t started using Moodle yet, so I have not created any content/backups as yet.

Any useful insights much appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gary Evans

Re: Moodle Install and Upgrade Saga - Part 2

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Please review what you've done against:

https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/Upgrading#Standard_install_package

Some of the mod directories missing should have been included in the zip/targz aquired from Moodle.org.   They are 'standard' mods .. ie, comes with every version.

In the link above, it does say ... any additional mods/blocks/themes residing in oldcode directory should be copied to the same locations in newcode directory .... *before* starting the upgrade.

Do hope you started the entire process with a backup of your DB and backup of the code.    Always ... *ALWAYS* ... the first step in upgrading to higher version.

There have been many changes in code from 2.3.x to the highest 3.0.3+ code - what you are doing is what I've called 'hyperjump' ... skipping 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9. -> 3.0.3.   There might be some hickups awaiting you with such a leap.

If there was nothing in the 2.3 why upgrade?   Why not install a fresh 3.highest?

'spirit of sharing', Ken