Students still see hidden courses

Re: Students still see hidden courses

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Katja,
I have found the (well-hidden) course (not site) -wide setting which enables you to completely hide the name of hidden courses to (unenrolled) students, not just display them in grey.

1. Log in as a teacher (or admin) in one of your courses
  2. go to Administration
  3. set Availability to: This course is not available to students
  4. in Hidden sections:
    1. setting Hidden sections are shown in collapsed form will display your course name greyed out
    2. setting Hidden sections are completely invisible will completely hide any course name that is set to This course is not available to students.
The reason why this setting is to hard to find is that the Help text which goes with it does not mention this, but refers to something totally differentmixed

tongueoutCourse hidden sections

This option allows you to decide how the hidden sections in your course are displayed to students.

By default, a small area is shown (in collapsed form, usually gray) to indicate where the hidden section is, though they still can not actually see the hidden activities and texts. This is particularly useful in the Weekly format, so that non-class weeks are clear.

If you choose, these can be completely hidden, so that students don't even know sections of the course are hidden

Please note that if a course is a) made unavailable to students and b) Hidden sections are completely invisible its name will not be displayed to students not enrolled in this course, but it will still appear greyed-out to those students who have been enrolled in the course.

Hope that helps!

Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Katja Leesemann -

Thanks Josephwinken

I made all the changes, settings etc. before posting my question. But your answer is what I realized...........but it will still appear greyed-out to those students who have been enrolled in the course............. ärgerlich WHY?

I do not understand the sense of all the settings for hiding and not being visible if it does not work!?

I will try the programming part that Scott sent me.

Katja

In reply to Katja Leesemann

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Katja,

I guess the rationale behind this behavior is that it should be possible to enroll (e.g. automatically) students in a course which the teacher has temporarily decided to make unavailable to the students, e.g. because it is not ready yet, etc.

To avoid the students wondering (and sending messages to teacher or admin or school) why their course does not appear in the list of courses on their school's site, they can see it, it's greyed out and when they click it they get the message "This course is currently unavailable to students"... which is better than nothing (or is it?)thoughtful

I agree with you however that it would be best to have a 3rd option: hide course from ALL students (whether enrolled in this course or not) in course administration.

I wish you good luck with trying out the programming part. Keep us posted.smile

Joseph