Hide courses and categories to specific role

Hide courses and categories to specific role

by Renato Marchesani -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

I need to give access to few specific users to a specific course category (accessed also by other users)and hide the rest of the categories. 

So far I thought about creating a specific role but I cannot find anywhere a way to set explicit access limit to a specific role.

Can anyone help me?

My mdl version is 2.3.1+

Thanks in advance

Renato

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Renato Marchesani

Re: Hide courses and categories to specific role

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

That's not what roles are for.

What you probably want are Groups and Restrict_access

In reply to Howard Miller

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Groups and restrict access only work within the course.  They cannot be used for restricting category access.

I think you might be able to hide the navigation block for a specific role but I cannot think of way to actually hide the categories.  But if they are not enrolled in the courses, does it really matter that they can see the categories.  They should not be able to do anything within the category...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Ahh sorry... I should learn to read the question properly. Yes - that is indeed tricky wink