I'm seeing the same thing on Moodle 2.8.10 as what Marco described.
The students get an email confirming that their assignment was submitted. However, when the assignment is graded or feedback is given, the student is not notified--even though the "Notify student" option is set to "yes."
have a sample student and confirmed that the student has all available
notifications options checked. Likewise, I set up an "event monitor" for
assignment feedback. The event monitor does send email as expected. We are only using email notifications--not pop-ups or jabber.
Am I misunderstanding the function of the "Notify student" option in assignment grading? This is what I see in the Moodle 2.8 assignment documentation:
Moodle allows the sending of a notification to the student when a student submits an assignment. This feature provides reassurance to the students that they have correctly submitted their assignments, especially when using features like draft submissions and file uploads. Moodle also allows notifications to teachers either when students submit assignments, or when students submit assignments late, or both. This feature notifies markers of the presence of assignments, or provides a reminder to access assignments submitted after the due date.
Why is this useful?
- Provides a receipt for student that the assignment has been successfully submitted
- Provides notification to marker that assignment are submitted
- Notifies of any changes to submission - for student’s record and to notify marker
- Provides notification to student that assignment feedback is available
- Note: When blind marking is used, students will receive a notification, but will not see feedback until all submissions are marked and reveal student identities is clicked. That releases rubric marks and inline comment feedback to all students.