Essential Theme

Essential Theme

by Steve Thompson -
Number of replies: 7

I am using  3.0+ (Build: 20151126) with Essential Theme. For a while I have been getting warnings that my theme version is not designed for my Moodle version.

Is the Latest Essential version now compatible with Moodle 3. It seems to be but I'd like to be clear. Finally, if I install the latest version of Essential will I lose my customisations. What steps do I take to avoid this.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Thompson

Re: Essential Theme

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

If you navigate to Administration > Site Administration > Notifications  there should be a link that takes you to a page where it lists all the plugins that are available for you to upgrade to. If Essential is there then that is the cleanest and safest way to upgrade as it is done automatically in Moodle. This way all your current settings will be intact.

Hope this helps?

Mary

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Gareth has released a version for Moodle3

https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=theme_essential

3.0.1 (Build: 2016010205) (2016010205)

Moodle 3.0
Release date: Monday, 29 February 2016, 6:48 PM

Use the link Mary suggested to upgrade it, or use github/download and copy manually as preferred, but if you upgrade Essential to the latest version that will remove the version warning. Or, if in doubt, use the link Gareth has in the readme file for Essential as there are upgrading instructions on that page.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Steve Thompson -

sorry to be a pain but where is the link "Mary suggested"

by Steve Thompson -

sorry - I wan't looking at the Forum in a way that showed that Mary had answered earlier. Now I see it.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Quick reply:

• As always, before upgrading, make a full backup.
  • Whenever possible, test fully on a test server with your 'use cases' before upgrading.
  • Read the instructions.
  • Essential should re-use the settings from the previous version as I strive to keep them named the same.  Some new ones might be introduced.  I did have to change one (I forget) the other day, but it was unavoidable.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Steve,

I hope you have managed to upgrade your theme now?

Cheers

Mary