pre bug fixes before applying to GSoC 2016

pre bug fixes before applying to GSoC 2016

by Isuru Abeywardana -
Number of replies: 1

Hello all,

Should I want to fix a bug that related to the project that I'm going to apply for GSoC 2016.

Regards,

Isuru

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Isuru Abeywardana

Re: pre bug fixes before applying to GSoC 2016

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Isuru, 

The best place to ask GSOC questions is the GSOC 2016 course on dev.moodle.org (see the link in the Moodle GSOC docs) 

but since you've asked here already:

Sometimes it can be helpful but it is not a requirement. - here's an excerpt from Tim Hunt's post related to bug fixing:

-------------------------
T
hink about what sort of bug you try to fix:

• If you try to fix a really hard bug, then you will probably just get stuck, and so you will fail to demonstrate to us what you are capable of.
  • If you 'fix' a really easy bug, then no one will be impressed. A real example: there was a bug, where the person who reported the bug said that they thought the way to fix the bug was to add this one line of CSS code. All the student did was to turn that into a patch. We were not impressed.
-------------------------

One of the other things we really like to see in GSOC students is your ability to use the large amount of content on the different Moodle sites - so don't go messaging a mentor to ask "how do I add a patch to a tracker issue" - or similar basic questions unless you have already tried using Google to find the answer. (Of course if you still can't find the answer don't hesitate to ask here in the forums!!) - Don't be afraid of getting it wrong either - it just gives us another opportunity to gauge how well you cope with feedback! smile

If you post a fix in a comment on a tracker issue and don't get a response within 2-3 days - feel free to add a post in the GSOC forums pointing us towards the bug and someone will try to take a look.