Moodle 1.9 - Courses images not showing unless logged in

Moodle 1.9 - Courses images not showing unless logged in

by Ian Jefferson -
Number of replies: 8

Hi

Wonder if someone can help me please? We are brining our moodle in-house from our regional broadband provider and they have given me a database backup and the moodledata folder.

I've got the site up and running and everything seems to be working fine apart from course images when you aren't logged in to moodle. If you view the course list, all you get is a broken image. If you try to view the image you get taken to the login page.

If you are logged in to moodle then everything seems to work as you would expect.

I suspect it's a configuration option that I haven't got set but I'm at a loss as to what I'm actually looking for.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Jefferson

Re: Moodle 1.9 - Courses images not showing unless logged in

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Ian. Just looking at your profile I wonder if you are moving from BT One Connect (formerly CLEO) to a different hosting option? I ask because I am from Preston and my school had similar issues.

Have you installed Moodle 1.9 and you are restoring a 1.9 site? It depends on where the course images were stored. If they are in the course itself then they won't be visible unless you log in to that course. Perhaps you can give some more details of where the images are coming from.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ian Jefferson -
Hi Mary It is a CLEO Moodle that we are migrating from. I have installed 1.9 and restored the database and moodledata and the server is up and running (running on the latest version of 1.9 after updating the database format). All course files work correctly and the front-page images work correctly, it only appears to be the course images that don't display correctly for not logged in users.

A quick look and I think the files are located within the course, but I'm at home without internet to check properly at the moment. I'll have to look properly on Monday.

If they are in the course, why would they display properly on the CLEO Moodle and not after restoring to my server?

Thanks

Ian

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I can't imagine why they would display on the CLEO moodle properly if they were in the course when you are not logged in -in fact, I don't believe they would have. It is possible that you as admin, if you looked at the moodle in school without being logged in, maybe you could see the images because they were being picked up from somewhere else on your computer ? (I have been  misled by that error before)

If you are still using Moodle 1.9 for your new Moodle then I would upload them into the site files. They will display correctly when not logged in then. 

The only way I can see how, in the old 1.9 course description images uploaded into courses would display correctly when not logged in, is if those courses had guest access or you had some long cache and , having logged out, the images were still visible.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ian Jefferson -

Thanks Mary, I appreciate the reply 

I'll redirect a new computer to the CLEO Moodle on Monday and see what happens in terms of course images and if I can't work it out I'll adjust them myself as it's only a few courses which have them.

Was there any other gotchas that I should be watching out for from the CLEO Moodle that you can remember? I've been working to a tighter deadline with it then I would have liked to.

Thanks again. 

by Mary Cooch -
If I recall correctly (this was in 2012) we made a brand new Moodle 2 site and then backed up and restored the courses we wanted into the site, (good opportunity for housekeeping) and then added the students afterwards. For a while some classes were still on the old CLEO 1.9 site and others were on the new 2 site and then everyone moved over at the start of the autumn term. We used it as an opportunity to start afresh (This is Our Lady's High Preston)

So we didn't recreate the CLEO site as such, although I believe the network manager got access to the whole database and site and had it somewhere up there in the 'cloud'. The main thing was making sure the new site had the same plugins as the old one - CLEO gave us extra ones such as journal, book and questionnaire which are not standard in 1.9. And then with the move to 2 there were others such as HotPotatoes which were no longer standard. And then there was not the CLEO MIS integration tool either, which I know some schools appreciated.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ian Jefferson -

Thanks Mary, that was the same process I did with my other school in terms of setting up a new Moodle from scratch and what I would prefer to do with this one if I had a bit more time but I'll work with what I've got for the time being.

I may well be back! I'll update on the outcome of the course images any way.

Thanks once again!

Ian

by Mary Cooch -

No probs! Ex CLEO survivors of BT One Connect should stick together smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ian Jefferson -

Hi Mary

This has got me stumped now!

I've had a look on a CLEO Moodle and Course images display correctly from within the course unless you do a hard refresh in which case they display the same behaviour as my restored Moodle running on 1.9.19

So, I'm guessing it's either some caching business or a possible bug that was fixed somewhere along the line.

I'll shove the images in site files for the time being and then everyones happy!

Thanks again! :D