Just one students not allocated reviewees

Just one students not allocated reviewees

by Mira Vogel -
Number of replies: 10

Dear Moodle Workshop users,

Most odd - a Scheduled Allocation ran as planned except for just one student. She submitted on time and she received reviews, but was not allocated any work to review.

Does anybody have any ideas about why this might have happened?

Thanks in advance,

Mira

PS I have been updating the Workshop guidance we give to staff - CC-BY licensed so feel free to use in any way you wish. It's pretty daunting in length so I need to think about how to present it more creatively - screencasts I guess. https://wiki.ucl.ac.uk/x/MpUpAg

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mira Vogel

Re: Just one students not allocated reviewees

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Are you sure that the student had submitted her work when the scheduled allocation was executed?

If so, how did you have the scheduled allocation configured? Maybe there was something like X reviews per reviewer and all reviewers already had that amount of submissions allocated? (Workshop should - and one day it will - inform the teacher via messaging/email about all such unexpected situations).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mira,

We've come across this situation twice in our Learn Moodle MOOC workshop. David kindly figured out the reason: the user made a submission and then unenrolled themselves from the course. Could this possibly have happened in your workshop?
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Mira Vogel -
Hello David, Helen,

Thanks for your responses.

I can see from the logs that the student submitted on time, and the scheduled allocation executed three reviewers per submission. Students could only review if they had made a submission, and no late submissions were allowed.

The logs tell me that the student did at one time have an allocation - she viewed three peers' submissions, but did not review them. But on the dashboard, the Grades Given field for that student is empty except for a single dash symbol i.e. it does not display the names of the three students whose submissions she viewed. She is the only student affected in this way and this hasn't happened before, nor did it happen with any of the other contemporaneous Workshops.

So, still in the dark, I emailed the student and am waiting for a response as to whether (Helen's suggestion) she inadvertently unenrolled and a bit more detail about what she did and what Moodle did.

I am half wondering if a Manual Allocation change was made by somebody in a Tutor role, but I find it unlikely. I am not sure how that would show in the logs, but will experiment.

Thanks,

Mira
In reply to Mira Vogel

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The logs tell me that the student did at one time have an allocation - she viewed three peers' submissions, but did not review them. But on the dashboard, the Grades Given field for that student is empty except for a single dash symbol

This seems relevant. Can you please elaborate, or provide a screenshot of the dashboard?

Does the student still have the three peer-assessments allocated to do? Or are you saying they disappeared somehow?

In reply to David Mudrák

by Mira Vogel -

Dear David,

Thank you for your response.

Two screenshots are here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1COzQ8KwJFE3yWijJGWIwZC_kd8oXukEu8l4C1HiyeKI/edit?usp=sharing

As you can see from the first screenshot, the dashboard tells us that the student has no allocated peer assessments to do.

But the second screenshot of the logs for the affected student show that she did view three submissions, suggesting that at an earlier stage she did have an allocation, but that it has since disappeared.

I emailed the student but have not had a response.

Best,

Mira

In reply to Mira Vogel

by David Mudrák -

Can you check those three submissions with id 28547, 28503 and 28541 to see their status and who is allocated to them for peer-assessment?

In reply to David Mudrák

by Mira Vogel -

Hi David,

The student having the problem is absent from the allocation of those three students.

To unpack that:

The author of 28547 received feedback from three others but did not give any feedback.

The author of  28503 received feedback from three others and gave feedback to three others.

The author of  28541 received feedback from two others (the missing third was the author of 28457 above, who did not give any feedback) and gave feedback to three.

Thanks for your attention on this. Scratching my head.

Best,

Mira

In reply to Mira Vogel

by David Mudrák -

I am sorry Mira. I can't really understand how the submission could get unallocated from the student.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Mira Vogel -

I know - me neither!

Well, it hasn't happened before or since. I will pursue locally.

Thanks David.

In reply to Mira Vogel

by Susanna Wesson -

Dear Mira,

Thank you for making the link available. I'm finding your page very helpful!

Susanna