Hidden Courses and Student views

Hidden Courses and Student views

by Karla Bright -
Number of replies: 4

We are setting up a new instance of Moodle 3.0.2 for our online courses and currently the courses are hidden until 1 week prior to the start of the course.  

The problem with the hidden courses is that when the student looks at Moodle to check their enrollment nothing shows up and they freak out thinking that somehow they are not enrolled or that something is wrong with Moodle.  

Is there a way to hide or prevent the student from entering the course, but still show the course title on their dashboard?

Ideally I would like the title and course summary to show on the student's dashboard with a notation that the course will be available on x/xx/xxxx.  I would like the summary to show so that the instructors cam upload their syllabus there and the students could access it prior to the course opening.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Karla Bright

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Karla Bright

Re: Hidden Courses and Student views

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

AFAIK, this, currently, is not available. However, is it possible to autogenerate an ad-hoc report that displays in a link from the Dashboard to show enrollments? That might be a plugin that gives the title of a course but does not generate a link to that course. If so, then could this idea be entered to the Moodle Tracker as a possible extension, an enhancement, to improve the user friendliness of Moodle? The only question would be how many people would vote for it?

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Karla,

Rather than trying to hide the course, how about allowing students to enter it and access the course syllabus, say uploaded to the general section, then have all other sections in the course hidden until a certain date using the restrict access feature. You can even choose to have a message displayed 'Available from [date]' so that students know when to look again.

Please see the documentation Restrict access for further details.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Karla Bright -

Hi Helen,

I was thinking of that - the only drawback is that we would have to set it up per course, per section, but I think this is the best option to accomplish what I would like to do.

Thank you for your help,
Karla

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Karla Bright -

Hi Colin,

Thank you for your reply.  That is an idea - something like "courses you are enrolled in but are not available at the moment,"  The course titles would show up but not as an active link.   i guess it can't hurt to try posting it to the Moodle Tracker.

Thanks again,
Karla