Languages

can't customize my language by copying language files from the moodledata to other site?

Picture of Frankle Lee 李智高
can't customize my language by copying language files from the moodledata to other site?

I have 3 different moodle sites, I have already customized one by using the Using Language customization tool then I will have some language files in moodledata-lang-zh_local.

I would like to copy these files into the other two sites, however it does't work at all.

What's worse is that I tried to customize the language from the other two sites and just found that even though I type in the translations into the tools and save the files, the customization tool stopped working any more. It looks like the moodle site lost control of the language files, stop writing into the files.

Any idea about this? 

BTW, I am using 2.92+

Average of ratings: -
C'est moi :-)
Re: can't customize my language by copying language files from the moodledata to other site?
Documentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Hi,

You should provide more details about what you've done exactly, on each Moodle site.

After copying the "local" folder, have you tried to "Clear all caches"?

Séverin

Picture of Robert Brenstein
Re: can't customize my language by copying language files from the moodledata to other site?

If you are copying files from another Moodle install, the first thing to check is whether the permissions and ownership (aside from double-checking the location and folder name) are correct for the destination server. I am talking about files as well as the folders. If something was changed accidentally, it might explain why customization tool stopped working.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Frankle Lee 李智高
回复: Re: can't customize my language by copying language files from the moodledata to other site?

Thanks a lot!

I solved this problem by modified the permissions of the folder to 777, it was 755.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, it's my stupid misstake....

Germán and temudgin
Documentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTestersTranslators

Hi Frankle,

I did that some years ago for Moodle 2.x , but before copying anything from one server to another,  FIRST you need to use the Language customization tool in the new server and customize at least one string (only) and commit the changes into the server. That will create the necessary files in Moodledata and instruct Moodle to use the customized files. After that, you can copy all the *.php files you want from the original customized server into the second (new) server. And it works. 100% certain smile