[LOOK & LEARN] Thumbnails with labels and captions.

Re: [LOOK & LEARN] Thumbnails (HTML mark-up)

by Daniell Goodin -
Number of replies: 5

Hi Fernando, 

Thanks for popping your head in to the thread.. 

Best to concentrate on my reporting back that changing out to:

"cards or "well" 

does migrate the problem I have experienced with this set of code I have heavily used across multiple courses. It may not be a pretty fix from a coders point of view, but it is working thus... 

So as it stands on the 3 setups I am Running. 

• Moodle Version 3.3  Adaptable version 1.6.0.1 - Class "thumbs" not playing nice - since upgrade to Adaptable v1.6.0.1. 

(As noted there could be more investigation  if there is incompatibly with one of the plugins that is running, thus need more then 1 site to experience this, all I can do is report my experience.) 

• Moodle Version 3.2.2 (Build: 20170313)   Adaptable 1.5.1- Class "thumbs" working (same code and plugins as it is our development site)
  • Moodle Version 3.1.1 (Build: 20160711)    Pioneer v1.4.6 - Class "thumbs" working ("Mostly" same code and plugins as it is first production site)

There is only respect here for all work done with in the community and the "paid" community. 

Thus my carefully worded post on the subject and the closed thread in the Adaptable support forum. 

In reply to Daniell Goodin

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Daniell,

Just to make you aware, you should use 'card' rather than 'well' for future proofing.

As Boost (and Moodle) work to move to Bootstrap4 STABLE, 'well' has actually been deprecated. Although 'well' can still be used right now (and will continue in themes using BS2, those using BS4 will eventually need to switch to 'card' instead.

"If you’re familiar with Bootstrap 3, cards replace our old panels, wells, and thumbnails. Similar functionality to those components is available as modifier classes for cards." https://v4-alpha.getbootstrap.com/components/card/

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Technically you can use both so that you end up with an either or option:

class="card well"

If your site use Bootstrap 2.3.2+ it will use "well" if using Bootstrap 4.0+ it will use "card"

Simples!

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Daniell Goodin -

Richard, 

Thanks for the post. 

Fully agree, that looking forward is the best place to be when creating interactive course materials. 

Thus reporting back into a thread like this is where the community is made aware of best practice. 

We know Moodle with all its add-ons is a beast of an environment to work on and I laugh when a client\teacher\trainer pops an email when something is not looking right. If only they knew what goes on behind the scenes to make that click of a mouse produce the desired line of text or picture in the right position. smile 

So there we have it.. The preferred method going forward is.

<div class="card">

by Daniell Goodin -

Hi Team , 

Just want to report back on this bug that has just come to light. 

And really wish I had this in my book of tricks to do after theme upgrades.. tongueout

Once again, big thanks to Mary Evans...

This little duty may save a lot of grief on theme upgrades for others that come across any strange behaviour on an upgrade. 

Site taken back to Clean theme, caches cleared. 

As referenced in the 

Re: Adaptable version 1.6.1\H5P Embed - Course presentation

I just had a look at a few pages of books I keep that are the "best of" code for a bit of work I am doing and noticed that "<div class="thumbnail">"  is working again. 

This can only have come about via the above trick given by Mary.

Such a simple fix but so lost in all of the information we have at our fingertips..  

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Daniell, 

Purging all Caches works wonders for most problems, however, testing the default Moodle theme, to see if there is a BUG in the works, is common sense if one wishes to rule out a specific theme.

Glad all is working well for you.

Cheers and thanks!

Mary