Grid format updated for Moodle 2.9 and 3.0.

Grid format updated for Moodle 2.9 and 3.0.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Moodlers,

I'm pleased to announce updates to the Grid format for Moodle 2.9 and 3.0:

M2.9: https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=10729

M3.0: https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=10730

changes:

M2.9:

1. Use custom user profile fields for accessibility - #23.
  2. Section 0 not shown on its own when in the Grid and 'Show one section per page' - #24.
  3. TravisCI - tidy up.
  4. Implement MDL-26226.

M3.0 (first stable release):

1. Implement MDL-26226.

Cheers,

Gareth

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Grid format updated for Moodle 2.9 and 3.0.

by Paula Moreira -

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for your foramt plugin! its perfect for what i want. I am looking to have my couses like its possible with the grid format but i want to have a progress bar and % of completion. Do you thins is possible to have it? I am sending an image to show what i want to do. Thanks for your help!

In reply to Paula Moreira

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Paula,

That is conceptually possible.  Probably between one and three days work.  I can quote you a price if you'd like me too.

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Paula Moreira -

Hi Gareth,

thanks for your answer. Can you send me a quotation?

Thanks Paula

by Zuleika Winfrey -
Hi Gareth, 

I was advised yesterday that our university had upgraded from Moodle version 3.0 to 3.0.3 and that third party plugins would no longer work if they are incompatible. 

So my course content is no longer in grid format which I prefer because it minimizes the 'scroll of death' issue. 

How soon do you predict the grid plugin can be updated, released and available for re-installation for those of us whose universities are now using Moodle  3.0.3?

smilesmilesmile

In reply to Zuleika Winfrey

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

"third party plugins would no longer work if they are incompatible"

Have you actually tested and seen that its not working - if so what is broken?

Plugins that work on 3.0 should work on 3.0.x in most cases

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Zuleika,

The person that advised you is talking complete and utter nonsense / rubbish / does not know what they are talking about.  It is only between 'major' versions of Moodle that plugins are more likely not to work, however there is still a chance that they will.  In rare cases things will break between minor versions of Moodle.  However, if they do, then please state here and I'll see what I can do to fix them in my plugins.  Therefore, please go ahead and use the Grid format for M3.0 in M3.0.3 - it should be fine - as I know of no API changes that should affect it.

Kind regards,

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Zuleika Winfrey -
Hi Gareth, 

Thanks for this information. I am not a technical expert and only manage the front end of our Moodle site so this update is very handy for people like me who love using the grid format. 

I did ask one of our backend administrators to send me a screenshot of error message. Please refer below: 

Would you please tell me what this means/how to solve this issue. 

Thanks so much, 

Zuleika

smilesmilesmile

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

That's not an error with the grid format, that is the write access permissions on the folder on the server. Your IT department need to set the correct permissions on the folders to allow Moodle's front end to install/update the plugins - or they need to be prepared to copy the plugins into the folders manually to install/upgrade them.

And without intending to be rude to them Zuleika, if your IT department can't see that from the error messsage, you need some new backend IT staff!!!

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Zuleika,

As Richard indicated its to do with the permissions on the server.  That it outside of my control.  It is the remit of your back-end administrators to solve whereby the web server process has the permission to write to that folder.  Please pass that information on to them.  I'm surprised that in reading error message they did not understand it.

Kind regards,

Gareth

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Zuleika Winfrey -
Hi Richard and Gareth, 

I've learnt a lot from the information you have provided. Your advice has helped me to pursue this matter. 

It has been 3 agonizing days since the Moodle upgrade, and grid format is finally back!!! 

Thanks so much!

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin