Conflict of interest message - restoring a course

Conflict of interest message - restoring a course

by Casper Pieters -
Number of replies: 4

Hi, I am trying to transfer a course I (cpieters) have created in Moodle 2.6 to a new server that runs Moodle 3.0.  I have eGuru as a theme and this theme is compatible from 2.6 onwards, so I assume there are no issues pulling the resources into the 3.0 environment.

However I am getting a  'conflict of interest' message when I try to restore the course.  I have created an identical course structure in the new 3.0 platform and trying to upload the course via a *.mbz file that I obtained from the 2.6 course (either as a new course or a merge into the existing course).

I have attached the message I am getting, but basically it says 'Trying to restore user 'cpieters' from backup file will cause conflict.'  There is a dropdown menu with user options, but no option but to <CANCEL> the process.

Hopefully it is something simple.  Thanks!!!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Casper Pieters

Re: Conflict of interest message - restoring a course

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I'll venture a guess that the account (cpieters) already exist in new system and is set to an admin level user.   Thus, the user info/role contained in the course you are trying to restore would demote (lack of a better term) that user ... ie, you.

You could try turning on debugging (all the way to developer), then attempt the same restore process you used to see what kicks out, if anything.

Is the 2.6 server still up and running?   Could go into that course on the 2.6 and remove the cpieters user from the course, even if teacher, backup, then try to restore it as you did before.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Casper Pieters -

Hi Ken,  Yes the 2.6 is still up and running, so I will try your suggestion and let you know.  The other server is at a school of which I have no remote access, but I will attempt tomorrow. Thanks so much for your kindness. Casper

In reply to Casper Pieters

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Casper,

Please see the FAQ 'Restore stops with the message "Trying to restore user xxxx from backup file will cause conflict"' in Backup and restore FAQ for possible solutions to the problem.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Casper Pieters -

Thank you Ken and Helen.

The problem is solved smile

It was indeed the role conflict that caused the problem.

Casper