Students versus teachers

Students versus teachers

by Rico Dredd -
Number of replies: 9

Having a fight between students who had messaging removed due to them using it in lessons etc and staff who want to either keep it or completly ban it.  The only option left to me as a techie was to follow the higher powers and remove it one day without warning.  Obviously the students did not like the fact we removed the facility after all the use of free messaging is like the holy grail to them. We have strict web filtering software so no other messaging can be used, no webmail like Hotmail/MSN/Yahoo either so you can imagine their mood now!angry

Anyone out there had similar experiences with the message debate and how you resolved the issue?

Feeling like Piggy in the middlesad

Rico

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rico Dredd

Re: Students versus teachers

by Janet Rhodes -

Question?  Are you dealing with middle, high, or college students?  This will make a difference how I can reply.

Janet

In reply to Janet Rhodes

by Rico Dredd -

Over 16 year old students so college in the UK.

Rico

In reply to Rico Dredd

by Ulrike Montgomery -
Rico,
today I had the exact same problem with my students (16-18 yrs). I hid the messaging block telling them it's either moodle without messaging or no moodle at all but old teaching methods instead (i.e. copy the textbook)
Of course they fuzzed but accepted it finally. Unfortunately we don't have any filtering system in our school - so I had to run around the lab making sure they weren't using msn (I actually caught 2, made them shut down the PC and copy the textbook).
Could you please tell me which filtering sytem you are using - we really need one.
Is there a filtering system which only permits access to our moodle site ?
Feeling like piggy chasing chickens in the barn.

Ulrike
In reply to Ulrike Montgomery

by Rico Dredd -

Using a commercial package called Websense which filters out webpages even files on the pages as well. Simple to use to block or enable sites and schedule out of hours usage as well, for example Hotmail can be used after 4pm but is blocked before then.

Obviously block the standard stuff and can add urls to block list if required especially non US/UK web addresses if not in their database which is updated daily. So yes you could set-up a strict category listing which allows only your Moodle site.

Rico

In reply to Rico Dredd

by Darren Smith -
We enable it after school (if we remember)  and remove it again on a morning. Too much hassle otherwise which is a pity so I have just given Mike Churchward the nod to do some enhancements for us (which of course we will release).

My proposal is a white, grey and black list. The white list will usually be teachers and trusted students who can use it whenever they want. The black list will be naughty boys and girls who can't use it at all but they will receive messages from white list members (teachers) but can't reply evil. Grey will be able to use it at predefined times (after school) but will still be able to receive from white list.

Still time for little tweaks before work starts but does the principle seem sound?

Darren
In reply to Darren Smith

by Rico Dredd -

Yes sounds like a good idea look forward to the code when it is finished.

Thanks for the work being undertaken as well.

Rico

In reply to Darren Smith

by Julian Ridden -
Sounds like a great plan of action. Go for it. Let me know if you need help testing
In reply to Rico Dredd

by Julian Ridden -
I know the feeling. Have fought to keep it here as well.

The benefits far outway the negative aspects of this service. Yes, we do have a minority that abuse the system and tey are dealt with individualy. As a whole though, the ability for teachers to message students and vice versa out of class has proven extremely popular and effective.

My only advice is to encourage your early adopters in the school and have them evangelise the benefits. Slowly hte others will come round
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Ger Tielemans -
"Education in fair use" is the only solution: if you ban chat and messaging, they discover that you can use a wiki page for the same purpose etc...