Automated Backups, skipping courses clarification, end of term backups

Automated Backups, skipping courses clarification, end of term backups

by Paul Lindgreen -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Currently testing Automated Backups in an attempt to backup courses at the end of each term for long term storage and legal requirements.  (ie 600 courses).

There's 2 main settings that decide whether to skip a course or not (we are backing up non-hidden courses): 
'Skip courses not modified since backup' -> my setting 'Never'
'
Skip courses not modified since previous backup'. -> my setting 'unchecked'

These settings appear to be redundant if I select 'Never' for the first setting? Or does one setting take priority over the other (if I select Never for the first setting and check the box for the next setting will unmodified courses be skipped or backed up?)? Do these 2 settings work together or are they independent?

What is the difference between, '..since backup' and '..since previous backup'',  sounds like the same thing to me?

'Include Logs' and 'Include Histories'  sound the same to me as well, what's the difference?

Is there any benefit to backup unmodified courses? I can't think of any reason to create a backup and overwrite a backup if nothing has changed (or is their extra info potentially backed up, I don't want to miss anything?)?

About half our courses are blank shells with only enrolled users, will they be skipped if the first setting is still 'Never' and checking the check box of the second setting? Are they considered never having been 'modified' if only students have been enrolled?

The second setting 'Skip courses not modified since previous backup' has a note below that says 'Choose whether to skip courses that have not been modified since the last automatic backup. This requires logging to be enabled.'. Is that referring to logging in general or is there a log setting somewhere that is specific to courses and course backups?

If the end of term backups work well, we are considering nightly or weekly backups (keep only 1 backups), in that case I believe the correct settings would be 'never' for the first setting, and checking the checkbox of the second setting?

Thanks

==environment===

moodle 2.7, windows 2008, MySQL,

Average of ratings: -