new backup format - not available in 3.0

new backup format - not available in 3.0

by Hya Agrawal -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

I am using Moodle 3.0. running with Apache 2.4.9 and PHP 5.5.12 to back-up a course of size greater than 2 GB . I got a progress count error. while referring to the same in moodle.org i found out such backups could be made through an experimental settings. Although, i see no options such as "Enable new backup format"  under admin -> development -> experiment -> experimental settings.(as per https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Backup_and_restore_FAQ )

Please explain to me whether the setting has been totally removed from moodle 3.0. or is missing ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hya Agrawal

Re: new backup format - not available in 3.0

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think that maybe that kind of backup is the default now. You might just be hitting a php timeout...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Hya Agrawal -

progress count error is all it shows !! Should i increase php execution time from 120 sec to something higher?

In reply to Hya Agrawal

by Steve Turley -

For sure. My large backups can take up to an hour.

In reply to Hya Agrawal

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, try raising to 360 for example and then turn on debugging - that will give you a more detailed error message.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Hya Agrawal -

Hi,

Even though increasing the execution time in php.ini  to 3600 doesn't seem to work. I did checked debugging option this time before taking a backup.

This is what it tells :

Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: progress() value out of range

More information about this error

Debug info: 

Error code: codingerror

Stack trace:

line 195 of \lib\classes\progress\base.php: coding_exception thrown

line 1830 of \backup\moodle2\backup_stepslib.php: call to core\progress\base->progress()

line 202 of \lib\filestorage\tgz_extractor.php: call to backup_zip_contents->progress()

line 142 of \lib\filestorage\tgz_extractor.php: call to tgz_extractor->extract_or_list()

line 645 of \lib\filestorage\tgz_packer.php: call to tgz_extractor->extract()

line 104 of \lib\filestorage\mbz_packer.php: call to tgz_packer->extract_to_pathname()

line 269 of \backup\util\helper\backup_general_helper.class.php: call to mbz_packer->extract_to_pathname()

line 1796 of \backup\moodle2\backup_stepslib.php: call to backup_general_helper::get_backup_information_from_mbz()

line 34 of \backup\util\plan\backup_execution_step.class.php: call to backup_zip_contents->define_execution()

line 181 of \backup\util\plan\base_task.class.php: call to backup_execution_step->execute()

line 177 of \backup\util\plan\base_plan.class.php: call to base_task->execute()

line 120 of \backup\util\plan\backup_plan.class.php: call to base_plan->execute()

line 320 of \backup\controller\backup_controller.class.php: call to backup_plan->execute()

line 136 of \backup\util\ui\backup_ui.class.php: call to backup_controller->execute_plan()

line 131 of \backup\backup.php: call to backup_ui->execute()

In reply to Hya Agrawal

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Hya - I noticed you had also posted this in the tracker and I replied there:

Sorry for the confusion. For each version of Moodle there is a new version of documentation, so the link you posted is actually for an older version of Moodle - 2.7 (see the URL) If you change the URL to 30 you get the latest documentation which is here: https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/Backup_and_restore_FAQ

The setting was removed in Moodle 2.9 as tgz backups are now standard - see MDL-49298

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Hya Agrawal -

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply !!

Although the backup format as you say are now included by default, i still face issue backing up larger courses . I tried increasing maximum execution count in php.ini to 3600 from 120,but no positive results were seen.

Could you please help?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)