Strange problems since upgrading to 3.0.2+

Strange problems since upgrading to 3.0.2+

by Jonathon Quinn -
Number of replies: 8

Hi, we have been having strange problems since upgrading to 3.0.2+.

When any user tries to do a file upload (either via drag and drop or via file activity), the progress bar appears and fills up but doesn't go away. Eventually (after a few minutes) the action times out and the file isn't uploaded (although once in a while it has!).

The second problem that has been noted is that, within any course, if we hide or unhide an activity or topic, the item appears to accept the change but, when we turn editing off, the changes haven't been made, i.e. the topic is still hidden.

I've checked permissions on our moodledata directory (all fine), permissions for the MySQL user on the database (all fine), I've checked the MySQL db for corruption and errors (non detected). Everything appears fine, Moodle reports all green ok's in the environment check, yet these problems persist?

Our setup is:

Cent OS 7
MySQL 5.6.29 Community Server
PHP 5.6.18 (remi repo)

I'd be grateful is anyone has any suggestions on what to check next before I 'throw the baby out with the bathwater' and rebuild a new Cent OS server to test and move on to?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jonathon Quinn

Re: Strange problems since upgrading to 3.0.2+

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Passing thought - it would help if you used a real name and profile details rather than 'IT Support'. I for one, would rather help real people wink

Have you turned on Debugging and 1. check the web server's error log and 2. done the upload with your browser's JavaScript Console open?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Same here. Seeing CentOS I thought of giving a shot, but then put off by the pseudonym - especially "IT support", why should I support IT support?
;-P

I know, one can invent real sounding names, still your John Doe is friendlier to me than the "Boing Boing" kind.

by Jonathon Quinn -

Thanks Howard, I've changed our profile accordingly now, in all honesty I didn't originally set up the account but it's now in my name smile

I've just checked the developer console and interestingly, when I change a topic to hidden, I get this error showing:

SCRIPT5007: Unable to get property 'set Attrs' of undefined or null reference
File: yui_combo.php, Line: 53, Column: 4408

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

What browser is this? If it's IE then you need at least version 10 for drag and drop (see https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_3.0_release_notes#Browser_support). 

by Jonathon Quinn -

Hi Howard,

It's IE version 11 but the problems occur in any browser.

Just looking at the errors, all fingers are pointing at something to do with the theme.

I'll try turning off our custom theme this evening and see if the problems go away.

Thanks for your help so far, I'll get back with the result tomorrow.

by Jonathon Quinn -

Just a further update...

It looks like the issue with not saving changes and the file upload timeout are unrelated to each other.

It turns out the cause of the file upload issue was ClamAV being set to scan uploads in Moodle, but for some reason ClamAV had disappeared from the server!

I know Moodle was set to allow files anyway if ClamAV fails for any reason (this bit wasn't doing what it was supposed to) but fixing ClamAV on the server has resolved this issue.

I'll update later on the other issue when I get to test removing the theme tonight.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Jonathon Quinn -

Further info...

The yui_combo.php issues are definitely related to our custom theme.

After changing to any other theme I cannot reproduce the problem - hiding and unhiding topics/activities, etc works fine.
The two major things that have changed when this problem surfaced were:

a) Moodle update to 3.0.2+

b) PHP update to 5.6.18

Investigations continue...

by Jonathon Quinn -

Ok, problem sorted.

The best I can point out is that the problem lay in the 'theme\theme_name\renderers\core_renderer.php' file.
The guys who originally made our theme updated the code so I can't be any more specific about the actual lines of code, but obvious suspicions would point to the code that handles the hiding/unhiding of items.

Thanks goes to Howard Miller for pointing me in the direction of using the browser debug console to track down the general area of the issue.