Badge woes in multi-language environments

Badge woes in multi-language environments

by David Manning -
Number of replies: 0

Hi there, 

I'd like some help with badges in multi-language environments. Some organizations create a separate course in English and a separate in French, Spanish, Portuguese etc. However, this creates an administrative nightmare for reporting, automating enrolment, etc. 

I've taken the route of making a single course, and using writing the course in multiple languages using the MultiLang Second plugin. In the course, you use {mlang} tags to separate each language's content. The MultiLang Second plugin works with almost all areas of moodle.  

The exception is the badges pages, which don't invoke the right methods for the filters to work. So users see a mess like the following: 

problem with badges

So the options I see are: 

• Only use a single language in the LMS (this isn't actually an option)
  • Raise the bug (which I've done but it's receiving pushback)
  • Change all of our courses to be monolingual, and change all our reporting processes to make the reporting teams add up multiple language variants (this is a ton of work, especially when you're making exceptions reports)
  • Don't use the badges functionality (this is the most likely outcome I'm seeing, but would be highly disappointing)

Are there any other ways I could accomplish what I need? What are people doing in other multilingual environments to incorporate badges? 

Average of ratings: -