Video Formats

Video Formats

by Ken St. John -
Number of replies: 5

I'd be interested in knowing what you're doing with respect to video formats - specifically overcoming the Apple vs Windows conflicts with .flv vs .mp4.

We put our videos right into the content using Flowplayer to present them which does a decent job with flash but, of course, still brings up the Quicktime logo with mp4s. Without having to offer two complete course versions - one for iDevices & one for Windows, what are you doing to get around this.

I don't like the zero privacy cloud servers like Puffin or Proton nor do I want to rely on a YouTube account. I do understand some day down the road HTML5 might be a solution but I need something now. So, I guess I'm looking for a discussion with folks who are uploading their videos and embedding them into the content as to how they're working around the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ken St. John

Re: Video Formats

by Derek Chirnside -

Just before I post Ken, to ask the obvious: have you read the other threads in Moodle.org about this topic?

For example, at random, the third hit from Google: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=271199

And have you ever used Generico?

Have you investigated the Moodle server settings for video?

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Ken St. John -

Hi Derek - thanks for responding ...

Yes, I'm cross -eyed looking at the other posts. No, never used Generico. Haven't looked at the server settings.

I know about renaming the files. However, that seems to preclude iDevices from the mix as they die when they see an flv extension.

Got bigger issues now. I installed Videoeasy which I could not get to function so, uninstalled it. That seemed to have killed inline playing with Flowplayer. Instead of playing the flv when the page is opened as it used to do, now there's only a link appearing on the page and clicking it starts a download to the desktop and playing in the default player on the desktop.

Not saying it's an issue with Videoeasy but it definitely affected the native Flowplayer which doesn't work at all now. I've gone through all the multimedia plugins settings putting them back to default but no joy.

In reply to Ken St. John

by Ken St. John -

Turned out to require more understanding of VE. The author was more than just helpful and thanks to him and the application, now squared away using mp4 exclusively on the site. I recommend VE highly to anyone who needs a reliable player.

In reply to Ken St. John

by Derek Chirnside -
This is good news Ken.

So exactly how have you done it?

• Videoeasy set up how?
  • What template are you using?  Your own, or one OOTB?  
  • And what player?

Regards

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Ken St. John -

Mainly just realizing the app wasn't for flash files. The mp4 files are a better plan and the app works great for them. We've switched the whole catalog over to mp4's.