change notification frequency only for specific forum?

change notification frequency only for specific forum?

by Lucien Stals -
Number of replies: 3

Hi there,

I have a user who wants to be able to change the frequency they receive forum notifications just for a single forum. 

What I have advised the user, and what I understand about how notifications work, is that the only way to change the frequency of notifications is to change the "Email digest type" in the user's own profile settings page, where they can choose "no digest", or daily digest (with or without full text). Doing this would also affect all forums the user was subscribed to, not just the one forum they are interested in.

Is this correct?

Or is there another way I can affect the frequency that users receive notifications?

I'm pretty sure that the forums "Subscription mode" is not the issue here.

Cheers.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lucien Stals

Re: change notification frequency only for specific forum?

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Lucien,

Actually it is possible for any user to set their digest preferences both at the profile level, and also at the forum level. You can see an example of this on this very forum: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/index.php?id=5.

There is also a link to this page on the bottom of every forum notification.

It is not yet possible to configure digest times beyond the site setting, though this is something I would like to add in the future.

Hope this helps,

Andrew Nicols

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Andrew Lyons

by Lucien Stals -

Thank you Andrew,

I didn't realise this could be set at a per forum level. It's good to know smile

Cheers,

Lucien.

In reply to Andrew Lyons

by Matt Apple -
I would like to point out that Admins do not see that menu even when they use the "login as" function to see what a specific user sees. I've been a Moodle admin for years and didn't know about this for that reason.