Moodle UI customizations

Moodle UI customizations

by David Ordóñez -
Number of replies: 1

Hi everyone, 

I see very often people in my job asking for better Course visual design inside Moodle, but generally i thing they are asking for other Course estructures or full diferent moodle "skeletons", closely to an AI / UI approaches, not only pure visual design approach.

Most of the needs in this sense are:

• Changing gradebook usability (js lightboxes)
  • Custom pages un Moodle site (everywhere)
  • A full "canvas" in Course home to put html content without blocks (even administration or navigation blocks) with links to resources or activities in a hidden Course sección.
  • Forum threads filtered by date or user.
  • Sidebars inestead of blocks.
  • Jquery effects
  • Etc...

In a few words, they want to use something that is not like a classic Moodle, but keeping all Moodle inner funtionality.

I think this improvments may break the core if we only paste code snippeds or if we simple make changes and customize...

What do you thing about?

smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Ordóñez

Re: Moodle UI customizations

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Some of your request are implemented in Adaptable, a new moodle theme that try to break the classic moodle structure.

Add custom pages is easy but adding these pages to the custom menu could be messy. Adaptable has several menus to add these pages.

Add any content in the course page without blocks is really difficult due the moodle layout. We need to use the regions to add this content using blocks. And normally there are no regions in the course page. We are working to add some regions in this page.

Sidebars instead of blocks? I think is better the opposite. In Adaptable you can add information in the frontpage without sidebars, using a configurable grid layout.

And all the modern Moodle Themes could allow the use of the default JQuery elements. If you want to add external elements then you can modify the theme easily.

The rest of requests ar more complex and needs  specific development.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)