Essential theme Release 3.0.0.4 - Moodle 3 - "Add Block" left

Essential theme Release 3.0.0.4 - Moodle 3 - "Add Block" left

by Malcolm Hay -
Number of replies: 7

Most of our courses have all of their blocks on the left,  a few have all their blocks on the right and even fewer use a 3 column layout.

For those courses that have all blocks on the left, is there an easy way to move the "Add Block" section to the left (currently appears on the right) so that the layout during editing resembles the final layout as closely as possible? Can this be moved at all?

Even if the setting were global, there are fewer courses affected if this section is on the left.

Regards,

Malcolm Hay

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Malcolm Hay

Re: Essential theme Release 3.0.0.4 - Moodle 3 - "Add Block" left

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

There is a setting to use the three column layout which is the only way you can get Essential to use the lefthand column on the far left. This is then set at side-pre for the default region which is where the Add Block will appear.

So change the to allow three column layout then, just move those blocks that may be still on the right, just drag them over when Editing is ON.

Hope this helps?

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

In addition to what Mary says, this: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/blob/master/config.php#L103 needs to be 'side-pre'.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Malcolm Hay -

Hi Gareth,

Thank you very much for your quick response. That is exactly what I was looking for (once again).

We (The Moodle team at Unitec, New Zealand) are very happy with this theme, which we chose for our upgrade last week to Moodle 3.02

Keep up the good work

Regards,

Malcolm

by Malcolm Hay -

One other question, if I may:

I have made the above changes on my test server and they work. I also changed the settings on the dashboard and public page. So far so good.

Now the question has arisen as to whether or not the "Add block" can appear at the top of the left hand column so that inexperienced teachers do not have to scroll to find it.

Is this a matter of just changing a few lines in the config file or is this a major code editing exercise?

Regards,

Malcolm

In reply to Malcolm Hay

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Latter.  Thus, teach the teachers.

by Malcolm Hay -

Touche... that is my job. Once again, thanks for your help and the great work you do on your theme.

Regards,

Malcolm

In reply to Mary Evans

by Malcolm Hay -

Thanks Mary,

We did drag all of the blocks to the left, which was fine, but in editing mode the "add block" field appears on the right, compressing the contents of any pages that are being edited. While not a big problem, it does distort any work being done so that the final product is not actually seen until editing is turned off. The "add block" section does not appear to be draggable.

Regards,

Malcolm