Can professors be force-subscribed to all forum posts, but students have subscription optional?

Can professors be force-subscribed to all forum posts, but students have subscription optional?

by Evan Donovan -
Number of replies: 2

Is it possible to set it so that professors will receive all forum posts via email, but that students' subscription is optional? (Although ideally, it would default to subscribing them to the replies on their own posts.)

Also is it possible to set everyone to have email digest subscriptions by default?

I'd like to have forums configured this way, because we use forums for graded assignments, and I'd like professors to get email notifications, just like they do for Assignment module. However, I would like to cut down on the volume of email, particularly for students.

We use forums for graded assignments, since it's the only efficient way we know of to have assignments that other students can see and respond to. (Workshop module is too complicated.)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Evan Donovan

Re: Can professors be force-subscribed to all forum posts, but students have subscription optional?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Evan,

I'm not sure about the answer to your first sentence, but you should be able to set up the second. On the front page of your Moodle site at the bottom of the Administration block is a small text box with a Search button. Type forum in the box and click the Search button. The digest option should be right near the top of the list of settings that comes up. Auto-suscribe will be right after it.

In reply to Evan Donovan

Re: Can professors be force-subscribed to all forum posts, but students have subscription optional?

by Mathew Gancarz -
Picture of Core developers

Hi Evan, did you find a solution to your first question? We're looking at the same thing and would like to automatically subscribe any non-editing teachers and teachers to all the forums in a course, while letting students have the optional subscription still. Seems like this may be an opportunity for a plugin.