Where to set default grade type for assignments?

Where to set default grade type for assignments?

by Tue Korsgaard -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Most of the assignements in our Moodle will be given af written feedback and not an actual grade. 

I would therefore like to set the default value for grade in assignments to "None" for an assignment. (The setting is displayed in the screenshot below) 

But I have been unsuccessful in finding the right setting. Can anyone help? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tue Korsgaard

Re: Where to set default grade type for assignments?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Tue,

Sorry, I can't find it either. I found where that part of an edit page gets "made" and still haven't found how it is set. I was hoping I could possibly find it hard coded. You might want to try looking at ...youmoodle/course/moodleform_mod.php around line 638 for Moodle 3.0.2+.

There is one way to do it, but I DON'T recommend it without testing to be sure it doesn't break something. AND, this method will make EVERY activity default to None during set up. It does NOT SEEM to change activities that have already been created. However, I have NOT tested this extensively. So TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Add the following to your Moodle config.php file after all the other $CFG entries:

$CFG->gradepointdefault = '';

Normally, gradepointdefault can be set under Grades > General settings and must be between 1 and the whatever the Grade point maximum is. You cannot set it to be empty there but adding that line of code to the config file seems to override that and give you what you want, but it does it for ANY GRADED activity that gets created after the change.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Tue Korsgaard -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Thanks for your help. approve

I decieded not to go ahead with doing any config changes, since this might be more problematic than learning the users to set at prober value ind the grade type field. 

In reply to Tue Korsgaard

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Leaving things as they are sounds like a good idea.

It also might be a good idea to put in a feature request in the tracker to have this made into a setting we can get to, like just about everything else in that part of each type of activity setup. I'm actually surprised it hasn't come up before.