Upload course completion data

Upload course completion data

by Todd Luger -
Number of replies: 2

Hi

I searched a bit and couldn't find a related topic  

We currently use a proprietary learning management system to manage students of our college's center for continuing medical education. These students are external to the college and not matriculated into a degree program, so the only place their continuing education records exist is in this proprietary LMS. We are planning to move to a Moodle based system and need to migrate user records from our current system to Moodle 3.0. 

I am familiar with how to configure a CSV file to upload users and course enrollments to Moodle. However, the tricky part is that most of these students have completed one or more continuing education courses in our current system. So, I have to figure out how to migrate course completion information so that those who have completed a course in the current system can download a certificate of completion without having to retake quizzes.

Here is how the system will work for new students:

1. Students watches a video (this is not tracked)

2. Student takes a practice quiz, which releases a final assessment

3. Student takes a final assessment, which releases a course survey

4. Student completes course survey, which releases the certificate of completion  

What I want to do is configure an upload file that will either mark steps 2-4 complete or just somehow make the certificate available to designated students.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Todd

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Todd Luger

Re: Upload course completion data

by Farhan Karmali -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Todd

Welcome to Moodle smile

In order to do that , firstly you will be installing an additional plugin for certificate. While there is no direct way of uploading the course completion. What you can do is , while you are uploading the users csv. For the users who should be able to directly access the certificate, you can either add a profile field value , or add them to a group within a course. Then in the certificate module of that course, you can use the restrict access settings to check for that group or profile field

https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/Restrict_access_settings#Group_and_groupings

Hope that helps

In reply to Farhan Karmali

Re: Upload course completion data

by Todd Luger -

Hello Farhan

Thank you for that excellent suggestion. I believe the group option will work for us. 

Best,

Todd