Course content auto-complete search feature.

Course content auto-complete search feature.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Moodlers,

In the next version of Essential for M3.0 and M2.9 and Shoehorn for M3.0 I've created a new course content auto-complete search feature as you can see by this screen cast (silent):

If you wish to try out the code on a 'test' server then you can download the ZIP from:

Essential:

Shoehorn:

The whole idea came from a video sent to me by a sponsor, whereby users have a need to learn one element in small time chunks and need to rapidly return to the same thing.  This feature lists both the sections and modules in your courses for courses you are enrolled in, then once you have found the one you want, takes you straight there.

You need to type at least two characters, have JavaScript turned on and the theme be in the normal place rather than '$CFG->theme' directory.  You will notice as the page loads that the input box will be disabled for a moment.  This is normal as its only enabled when the JavaScript is ready to take your input.

I have added this enhancement as a means to learn new AJAX techniques with PHP having only since done AJAX with Java.  Thus no funding was required.

At the moment I'm happy with the look but it may change in the release.  Feedback appreciated.

Cheers,

Gareth

Average of ratings: -