Languages

Glossary terms in Chinese

Picture of Vinko Vinkovic
Glossary terms in Chinese

I'm starting a Moodle course for my students who are learning Chinese language. Whole course is using English as the first language. I would like to create a dictionary of Chinese language based on the lessons my students are learning.

I have created the categories for each lesson but the problem is that I have (which sounds most logical) when added a new entry named the concept in Chinese language (basically the word I'm introducing is the text in "concept"  (for example if I'm introducing the word "you" I would add a new entry, and under concept write "你") and then give the English explanation of the word and some examples under "definition".

This works fine, but the problem is I can't search Chinese words (even they are mentioned both in "concept" and at least once in "definition" text. All my Chinese words are put in browse under "special".

If I enter "你" as a search term ("Search full text" checked) I get "No entries found in this section".

If I search any word in latin letters there is no problem with the search.

Any idea how to make the glossary search for Chinese characters?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Helen Foster
Re: Glossary terms in Chinese
Core developersDocumentation writersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTestersTranslators
Hello,

Sorry to hear of your problems searching for Chinese words in your glossary.

The problem of only having one alphabet for browsing has been reported previously as MDL-22233. Please feel free to create a tracker account then you can vote for the issue to be fixed, and watch it to receive email notifications of updates.

I just tried adding a glossary entry including "你", then entered it as a search term. The entry was found. Thus it seems your problem is specific to your set-up.

I'm going to move this discussion to the Languages forum where lots of character experts hang out...

Picture of Andrew Nicols
Re: Glossary terms in Chinese
Core developersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

I'm unable to replicate this issue, and it does not tie into MDL-22233 AFAIK.

Can you please confirm on a supported version of Moodle and if this is still an issue, open a new issue on the tracker for this issue.