Buttons on Essential Theme 3.0

Buttons on Essential Theme 3.0

by Sarah Fauset -
Number of replies: 20

Suddenly I have a button showing up on the top right and bottom center of the page that says...click here to return to course.

How do I remove that?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sarah Fauset

Re: Buttons on Essential Theme 3.0

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I never thought that anybody would not want this new drop dead gorgeous, wonderful and usable feature.  I'll put a setting to turn it on / off in the next release.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Sarah Fauset -

I would have wanted this feature but since it was not there...I have already made my own buttons across the site so now there are too many buttons everywhere. It would have been easier if they were already there.

In reply to Sarah Fauset

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I added the 'Return to section X' functionality because I received feedback that it would be a good thing.  I did not know you were already adding your own buttons because you needed that sort of functionality.  Therefore I could not have added it before you created your buttons because I did not know you needed it in the first place.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Sarah Fauset -

All of a sudden...I have 2 buttons appearing on all of my pages. There are 2 buttons that say "return to course" on all of my pages. When you click them, they go back to the course but I don't know how what I did to make these buttons appear. Can you tell me how to turn this settings off?

In reply to Sarah Fauset

by Sarah Fauset -

Sorry the button says "return to section"...How do I turn that off?

In reply to Sarah Fauset

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Sarah,

I repeat.... There will be a setting in the next release to turn this off / on.

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Sarah Fauset -

I am a bit confused...because this feature was off but now it is on. So what happened? This just came on in the last few days.

In reply to Sarah Fauset

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Sarah,

If we are talking about the same thing, then that feature was released formally on the 5th February 2016.  In that release there is no option to turn off 'Return to section X'.  In the next release as stated above (twice) there will be such a setting.  However if you are saying that it came on in the last few days then that might be another feature that I've been working on and not the feature I think you are thinking of.  Or could it be another feature I don't know about because you're getting Essential from another source than moodle.org / my GitHub where others are adding other features that you think are mine but in fact are not and I don't know about that branch / release?  So what feature are you actually thinking of?

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Alex Briones -
Hi,

Was the this issue resolved in 3.1? How do I turn off the highlighting on the "return to" button?

Thanks

In reply to Alex Briones

by Gareth J Barnard -

What was fixed?  There was nothing to fix.  I did add the option to turn off the 'Return to section X' functionality.

In reply to Alex Briones

by Alex Briones -

Never mind, this was fixed in 3.1

Just go here as sysadmin and turn off:

http://sitename/admin/settings.php?section=theme_essential_feature

by Just H -

Just having my first look at newer versions of Essential and must say, love this added functionality. Nice one Gareth.

In reply to Just H

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thank you Just H smile

by Michel DENIS -

Hi Gareth,

At the end of an orphan activity, the button always leads to the section of orphans, which is hidden, hence it goes back to the main course page.

Would there be a way to return to the section of the "façade" (presentation) activity instead ?

Thanks,

-michel

In reply to Michel DENIS

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Michel,

You've already asked this question in the Courses and Course formats forum -  https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=338222.  Whist this does fall into two forums as you are sure, it is always best to put a link to the original post in the other forum.  And I've not deleted this despite - https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moderator_guidelines#Posting_in_multiple_forums - because there is a subtle difference.  This saves people answering a question when it has already been solved / answered in one way and another way might be better but knowledge has been lost along the way.

Therefore I will reply there as it was the first posting and everybody else, please do so too and do not add to this thread.

Gareth

by Gail Chambers -

Gareth -

How do is the Return to Section button enabled? Box is checked but not seeing button? Can the feature, a great idea by the way be utilized in other themes - Adaptable/BCU? Any help would be appreciated.

Gail

In reply to Gail Chambers

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Gail,

Assuming M3.0 and Essential 3.0.1.14 - the 'return to section button' is working when you view an activity / resource.

Yes it could be used in other themes if the code was ported to them.

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Gail Chambers -

Thank you very much for your quick response!! Again, great idea to include this feature.

Gail