Streaming Server application

Streaming Server application

by Anderson Hsu -
Number of replies: 16

Dear partners, 

If we would like to install streaming server for moodle use, is there any suggestion for the issue, such as what kind of streaming server ...etc? Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anderson Hsu

Re: Streaming Server application

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Anderson,

What kind of streaming you intend to do? Live or VOD (Video on Demand), There could be plenty of options, Like Amazon S3 is fully capable of Streaming, then there are servers Like IIS Smooth streaming comes as a part of IIS (Not being developed further), Wowza Server ($65 per instance), Adobe Streaming  Server ($1200 price tag) and last but not least my favorite and most recommended for its performance and price is Nimble Streamer, its absolutely free, very light in terms of resource requirements and even if you want management panel, it costs barely $20 a month for up to 5 servers.
Now comes which streaming technology, then I'll rather talk more about Nimble streamer, it supports all, RTMP, Apple HLS, MPEG-DASH, Audio, Progressive Downloads etc. even an Ubuntu Server with 1 core CPU and 512MB RAM can serve up to or even more than 1000 clients without hiccups.
You can learn more about Nimble streamer HERE. Yuri is the main guy to speak to, they will take care of your setup on server too, also, it's a 15-day management panel trial also available, after that if you want to, you can skip management and server is yours to use for free, but I will definitely recommend using the Panel for it makes server configuration and management way much easier.
In reply to Anderson Hsu

Re: Streaming Server application

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
You mean, an external provider for your videos? This comes up very often, try the Forum advanced search. They could appear in any forum, read "Wasn't there a dedicated forum for videos?" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=313462.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

回應: Re: Streaming Server application

by Anderson Hsu -

Thank you for your all reply.

We would like use rtmp plugin of moodle. Is there other free streaming server which we can use? Thank you.

In reply to Anderson Hsu

Re: 回應: Re: Streaming Server application

by Usman Asar -

Nimble Streamer is a freeware streaming server, only cost is for management panel should you need it as then Nimble team can setup your account using that panel, else their configuration file is in form of XML file I believe, that resides on your server. You can always go and make changes in there. First 15 days are free to use WMSPanel anyway, so you may be able to setup things properly during that time to use Nimble Streamer freely afterwards.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Usman, I have never worried about a video streaming server for my videos because one of my universities has one for me to use.  However, I am interested in learning more.  Of course, I wonder if I can run my own video server and what its cost would be.

I am trying to contact Nimble, but could not find their phone number.  I am not sure if you have one for Yuri, or if I will have to wait for Nimble to email me their contact phone number.

I don't understand the products needed.  It appears that one of Nimble's products is a "software" solution. If so, would I need any special kind of server for their software?  Do you have any experience with their software on a VPS?  Or do I buy both the control panel and a server from them (or a monthly server cost)?

At this point, I am just trying to gain some intelligence so that I know a little bit more about what I am talking about.

Thanks for your help.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Usman Asar -

Rick, I think they are base in Ukraine/Russia (making nimble another great product out of that region after NGINX server) for me to have their phone number, but they reply instantly on email, and Yuri is main developer of Nimble and WMSPanel.

The cost of server can be as little as smallest droplet from Digital ocean, meaning $5 starting price and nothing else. Where I mentioned nothing else, their Streaming Server is Freeware, means you don't have to pay any price for that - In start it confused me a lot as well until I asked and it was Yuri who cleared everything before me. Their additional product is WMSPanel offered as SaaS, which is streaming server management panel, and works not just with their own product, but others like Wowza Streaming server as well. The cost of WMSPanel is $20 a month and includes up to 5 servers, meaning you can setup 5 different droplets/servers and control them using same Panel in $20, additional servers can be bought as well. If you dont want to make use of WMSPanel, you dont have to, you can still configure Nimble Streamer using config file (links in the bottom of post)

Other thing that you can buy are slices (they are like Stats for server), one Slice for personal use I believe is included in WMSPanel, but if you want public stats to be visible, then they have prices like $32/month for 2 slices 9you can find more in links below)

I haven't personally set their streaming server on VPS, but have tested on my Windows Server and joining it with their WMSpanel on trial, everything worked as per instructions. (they have streaming server installer packages for Linux, Windows, MAC, Raspberry Pi etc)

Summing up, their streaming server is Free, if you want their WMSpanel to manage Nimble Streamer using GUI then it costs $20 a month no contracts. Only other costs would be price of your server/droplet, and depending upon how many users you are serving costs between $5 - $20, but because their streaming server is so light, that even cheapest VPS/Droplet will serve the purpose.

Additionally, if you are making use of Apple HLS / MPEG-DASH ABR (Adaptive bitrate) streaming, then you have to get a player that can support, for that most popular is JWPlayer (supports both HLS and MPEG-DASH) and Bitmovin is another player I think.

You can learn more about Nimble Streamer and other products/services they offer from this link https://wmspanel.com/

Also, their pricing structure and few more questions answered HERE.

Also, their article on performance tuning nimble streamer using configuration file HERE.

and their product/team blog is HERE.

In reply to Usman Asar

回應: Re: 回應: Re: Streaming Server application

by Anderson Hsu -

Dear Partners, 

After applying a new account of Nimble Streamer,but how do we upload video to nimble streamer ? Thank you.

In reply to Anderson Hsu

Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: Streaming Server application

by Usman Asar -

Anderson, you have applied for WMSPanel account, not nimble streamer, as you have to install it on your own on your server holding the videos. If you cannot manage to get your own server, then get a serviec that provides all in one, like Vimeo, but they wont be providing adaptive rate streaming.

In reply to Usman Asar

回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: Streaming Server application

by Anderson Hsu -

Dear Usman Asar,

Thank you for your kindly assistance.

Actually I don't have idea about how to upload video and how to use nimble ? Would it be possible to help us the guidance ? 

In reply to Anderson Hsu

Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: Streaming Server application

by Usman Asar -

Anderson, you have to have a separate server that could use Nimble, if you have joined their trial, then I assume you have a server that you can use to test out nimble streamer, have you tried asking their admin as they will do whole setup for you for free, even in trial period so you can have hands on experience on using nimble.

In reply to Usman Asar

回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: Streaming Server application

by Anderson Hsu -

Dear partners, 

If we can not connect internet, can we setup streaming server in our intranet environment? Than k you.

In reply to Anderson Hsu

Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: Streaming Server application

by Usman Asar -

Whats the use of Streaming media over intranet? People tend to use streaming media so bandwidth can be distributed evenly, if you are going to use it on Intranet, then make use of simple embedding and not streaming server.

In reply to Usman Asar

回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: Streaming Server application

by Anderson Hsu -

Because we have other country employee would like to watch video. And our server is located in Taiwan, we would like to control the bandwidth, so we try to find streaming video solution .

(Additional information: the moodle server is in the intranet , it can not connect internet directly)

Thank you.

In reply to Anderson Hsu

Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: Streaming Server application

by Usman Asar -

Now that is becoming very confusing, you want a remote employee access to videos in Moodle, where moodle cannot be accessed via internet.

I would suggest making use of Vimeo platform, give links to employee to watch videos without stepping foot on Moodle.

In reply to Usman Asar

回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: Streaming Server application

by Anderson Hsu -

Dear Asar,

Because we have bought international bandwidth, and it cost a lot of money, so we try to install stream video server inside our company for our employee by using intranet environment.

Thanks a lot.So we try to ask is there stream video server can be used RTMP video server used ?

In reply to Anderson Hsu

Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: Streaming Server application

by Usman Asar -

Yes a streaming video server is capable  of RTMP