Weighting Schemes Customizeable per User

Weighting Schemes Customizeable per User

by Dave Laurie -
Number of replies: 2

Hi all,

I've had a number of users request the option to adjust gradebook weightings for individual students or a small number of students.

The use case is pretty common in post-secondary: a student has to miss a mid-term exam and their final exam then receives whatever the mid-term exam was weighted as.

This (AFAIK) is currently not possible - you can exclude certain grade items from individual student's course total calculations but this only provides the option of spreading the excluded weight evenly across all the other assessment items in a course. You cannot take all the weighting of a particular excluded assessment item and target another item where it would apply.

I just wanted to make sure I am not missing something and check and see if others had this need and/or if there was a feature requested somewhere (in case my fruitless searches of tracker didn't hit the necessary key words.)

The only workaround we have been able to offer is to manually calculate the course total for the exception students and override the course total cell for them.

Thanks for your time.

Dave

In reply to Dave Laurie

Re: Weighting Schemes Customizeable per User

by Mark McKay -

Hi Dave,

I'd need more details to know for sure, but it seems to me this could be done. But the bigger issue is a philosophical one, from a curriculum fulfillment standpoint.

Mark

In reply to Mark McKay

Re: Weighting Schemes Customizeable per User

by Dave Laurie -

Hi Mark,

Do you mean you think this could be done right now? Or that this feature could be added/developed?

Either way, what more details would you like? (I should have mentioned before that we are currently running moodle 2.8.5.)

Luckily for me, I only need to provide the technical solution - faculties, departments, and individual professors make the decision about whether they can or should change individual student assessments weightings in their courses. I expect that most of these cases occur when the final covers the same material as the midterm...

Thanks,

Dave