by Adilet Bazarbayev -
Number of replies: 5

what does get_num_steps mean?

Thanks in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adilet Bazarbayev

Re: get_num_steps

by Jamie Kramer -

Hi Adilet. I want to offer a friendly piece of advice that might be helpful... It would be better to provide some context and additional details about your question, such as, what are you trying to do?

I was able to find the function you asked about in my Moodle source code...

grep -r 'function get_num_steps' moodle_code_directory

Using that, I discovered this:

./question/engine/questionattempt.php:    public function get_num_steps() {

So that function is part of the question module. In looking at that function in the questionattempt.php file, I see:

/**

* Get the number of steps in this attempt.

* For internal/test code use only.

* @return int the number of steps we currently have.

*/

public function get_num_steps() {

return count($this->steps);

}

It says it is for internal/test code use only, but it is called/used throughout the question engine:

question/behaviour/missing/tests/missingbehaviour_test.php:        $this->assertEquals(2, $qa->get_num_steps());

question/engine/questionattempt.php:        $numrealsteps = $this->get_num_steps();

question/engine/questionattempt.php:    public function get_num_steps() {

question/engine/questionattempt.php:        if ($this->get_num_steps() == 1 && $this->get_state() == question_state::$complete) {

question/engine/questionattempt.php:        if ($this->get_num_steps() > 0) {

question/engine/questionattempt.php:        if ($lastseq < 0 || $lastseq >= $this->baseqa->get_num_steps()) {

question/engine/questionattempt.php:        return $i >= 0 && $i < $this->qa->get_num_steps();

question/engine/questionattempt.php:        $this->i = $this->qa->get_num_steps() - 1;

question/engine/renderer.php:            if ($stepno == $qa->get_num_steps()) {

question/engine/tests/helpers.php:        return $this->get_question_attempt()->get_num_steps();

question/engine/tests/questionattempt_db_test.php:        $this->assertEquals(6, $qa->get_num_steps());

question/engine/tests/questionattempt_db_test.php:        $this->assertEquals(1, $qa->get_num_steps());

question/engine/tests/questionattempt_db_test.php:        $this->assertEquals(4, $qa->get_num_steps());

question/engine/tests/questionattempt_db_test.php:        $this->assertEquals(3, $qa->get_num_steps());

question/engine/tests/questionattempt_with_steps_test.php:    public function test_get_num_steps() {

question/engine/tests/questionattempt_with_steps_test.php:        $this->assertEquals(3, $this->qa->get_num_steps());

question/engine/tests/questionusagebyactivity_data_test.php:        $this->assertEquals(3, $qa->get_num_steps());

question/engine/tests/questionusagebyactivity_data_test.php:        $this->assertEquals(0, $qa->get_num_steps());

question/engine/tests/unitofwork_test.php:        $this->assertEquals($updatedattempt->get_num_steps(), count($updatedsteps));

question/engine/tests/unitofwork_test.php:        $this->assertEquals($updatedattempt->get_num_steps(), count($updatedsteps));

It would seem that this function is what is used to track/determine the number of steps in an individual question. The class that implements the get_num_steps method has this documentation:

* Tracks an attempt at one particular question in a {@link question_usage_by_activity}.

* Most calling code should need to access objects of this class. They should be

* able to do everything through the usage interface. This class is an internal

* implementation detail of the question engine.

* Instances of this class correspond to rows in the question_attempts table, and

* a collection of {@link question_attempt_steps}. Question inteaction models and

* question types do work with question_attempt objects

I hope that gets you started.

Jamie

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jamie Kramer

by Adilet Bazarbayev -

Thanks a lot, Jamie!!! 

I'm trying to implement photoficsation during student pass the test. 

Only thing is - students don't have to know that the site is making a photos of them. 

In reply to Jamie Kramer

by Adilet Bazarbayev -

Hello!

I have one more question related to the photofixation of students within the test. 

Where I must make code changes to realize the following functionality: student presses the "next" button to go to the next question and if the next question is a 13th or 26th, the photo of the student must be taken and uploaded?

HELP!!! PLEASE!!!