Use of groups in "Each person posts one discussion" forums

Use of groups in "Each person posts one discussion" forums

by Andrew Lyons -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

David Scotson recently raised MDL-52942 regarding a breakage when an administrator attempts to use the "Post a copy to all my groups" option when posting in a "Each person posts one discussion" type forum.

This leads me to a couple of questions about how you expect this type of forum to act when used with multiple groups.

Firstly, I feel that it should be possible for a user to post a single discussion in each group that they are a member of - not just the first one what they chose to post in, but perhaps I am wrong? Has anyone got any use-case where they do need this functionality? Is it a deficit in the current use of this forum type?

Additionally, I wonder whether some users (typically teachers) should be able to post multiple discussions rather than the standard single discussion. If so, should we base this on an existing capability (e.g. mod/forum:postwithoutthrottling), or create a new capability for this purpose (e.g. mod/forum:postmultipletimesineachuser). Ideally I'd like to know any use-cases for this and whether it is actually required -- if it's not, I won't implement it.

Any views on these two questions, and any further questions arising from these, would be great.

Best wishes,

Andrew Nicols

Average of ratings: -