Essential Theme: hide "Preview" icon in feedback

Essential Theme: hide "Preview" icon in feedback

by Mark Whitington -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all,

I will start by indicating that I am not particularly familiar with HTML nor CSS but muddle my way around with simple stuff.

We are using Moodle 2.8 and the associated Essentials theme. (soon to upgrade to 2.9)

Some of our users are clicking the magnifying glass icon (Preview) when in a Feedback activity and hence no response is saved by Moodle.

I am wondering if hiding the icon would assist with the above issue?... are there any risks?

I was hoping to add a bit of code to the Custom CSS setting within the Essentials theme.

I have located the magnifying glass icon using Firebug but am unsure how to use the located code (HTML + style CSS) ... when I change the style

eg    ".fa{display: inline block;"      to none the icon disappears as intended.

Hope someone can aid my next bit of understanding/learning.

Cheers

Mark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Whitington

Re: Essential Theme: hide "Preview" icon in feedback

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Yes display:none; will work but you will need to make sure you are hiding only that icon for the preview, and not other icons at the same time.

You need the ID and or CLASS selectors that go in front of that .fa there should be some CLASS or ID in or around the area when you inspected with Firebug. If you do a right click on the icon you can click on the CSS path which is in the popup menu on right click.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mark Whitington -

Thanks Mary,

I appreciate you help with this.

I have located the following... is this what you suggested?

If so how do I use that next bit of info? Looks to me that it is linked to a specific feedback (id=37780)... can I turn off the preview icon within one course or will it be site-wide?

Class info

by Mark Whitington -

Not quite right but have hidden the Magnifying Glass within a course using the following code...

The magnifying glass is hidden for the Feedback module but also hidden within the quiz where it may be useful.

Is there a way to refine this further to limit it to just the Feedback?

/*Remove Feedback Preview Icon*/
.category-13.course-1156
.fa-search {
display: none;
}

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Mark,

I am using the theme Shoehorn and I don't think that hiding the preview is theme related. So I assume that the following code added in Custom CSS for hiding the preview in the feedback module will work for you as well. 

#page-mod-feedback-view .smallicon {

}

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Mark Whitington -

Thanks Harmut,

Nearly worked but your code gave me the answer I needed... the magnifying glass icon = .fa-search

So the following code added to the custom CSS hides the magnifying glass from all Feedback across the site. (or using my previous attempt can limit it to set courses if needed)

#page-mod-feedback-view .fa-search {
}

Thank you so much!