Email for subdomains

Re: Email for subdomains

by Ken Task -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

What do you get for a dig query like this ... substitute your students domain:

The 8.8.8.8 is Googles resolver.

How about your own DNS resolvers/DNS servers?
[root@moodle ktask]# dig stu.yourdomain.net ANY @8.8.8.8

; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.37.rc1.el6_7.6 <<>> stu.yourdomain.net ANY @8.8.8.8
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 50364
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 8, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;stu.yourdomain.net.            IN    ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
stu.yourdomain.net.        21599    IN    SOA    ns1.yourdomain.net. someaddy.mailhost.yourdomain.net. 22620140 10800 3600 604800 86400
stu.yourdomain.net.        21599    IN    NS    ns1.yourdomain.net.
stu.yourdomain.net.        21599    IN    NS    ns2.yourdomain.net.
stu.yourdomain.net.        21599    IN    MX    10 aspmx.l.google.com.
stu.yourdomain.net.        21599    IN    MX    20 alt1.aspmx.l.google.com.
stu.yourdomain.net.        21599    IN    MX    30 alt2.aspmx.l.google.com.
stu.yourdomain.net.        21599    IN    MX    40 aspmx2.googlemail.com.
stu.yourdomain.net.        21599    IN    MX    50 aspmx3.google.com.

The other thing ... IPv6 ... google would like *everyone* to use it.

Is your Moodle talking IPv6 correctly?   Can it find the IPv6 gateway for your network?

/sbin/ifconfig

will show a line that shows the IPv6 address of your server:

inet6 addr: [won't share it]

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Ken

You wrote:
> dig stu.yourdomain.net ANY @8.8.8.8

Why does it have to be the Google's DNS server? Why is the OP's default DNS server insufficient?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Ken Task -

Obviously, the DNS queried doesn't have to be Googles open DNS, but rather than get into the depth of that (ie, local DNS) the query would return what the local DNS records/setup would contain anyway.  

Some school networks have internal DNS servers that are authortative for the internal domain (corp.lan corp.wan ... whatever you want it to be cause it's NOT supposed to be queried by any server/workstation NOT connected to the LAN/WAN.   Same DNS server has their external public outside domain - the one registered ... someisd.net, stu.someisd.org.   A messed up Windows DNS server (have seen them) might get the internal zones mixed up with external zones .. ie, not keep them in a 'split' setup.

When moving mail for an existing domain to Google there is a process.  Domain owner has to prove they own the domain first.   After that, one can acquire the DNS records one should plug into local DNS servers.   What one sees from the query of Google's DNS should be the same as entered into the local DNS.   In the local DNS, for mail records, are in the outside/public zone and inside computers need to be able to make queries of that split public zone to find their mail.   Same is true of internal servers, like Moodle.

That explain? ;)   Since we've not heard back from op either the problem has been resolved or ????

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Jason Touw -

Hi Ken...not resolved, just dissecting the long (and wonderful) string of suggestions that came through.  We are on a President's weekend break here so I have been hit or miss online.  I am looking through the settings now, and you mentioned that you might be able to assist a little more...perhaps with an RDP, which I am not opposed to.

The domain is wvcsd.org and the subdomain is students.wvcsd.org.  Not top secret at all.

In reply to Jason Touw

by Ken Task -

President's Day here as well. ;)

Really wasn't 'fishing' for anything more formal (RDP or otherwise) - if you are not supposed to do it, don't!

Will respond to the PM you've sent in PM and even though the information gathered from the domains shared anyone could find out with a query, I'll also continue the discussion/cussion in PM or in direct contact EMail.

This forum is for Moodle and there are many who really aren't interested in discussing Google Mail, etc. although *IF* I had enough $ I'd join Moodle Association and see what could be done addressing such issues as there are many schools now using Google for many things .. Google Docs/Drive, EMail, etc..  IMHO, Moodle is 'loosing market share' in the PK12 arena - which I believe is larger than any other educational institution division, etc.   But, I digress ... so off to PM. ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Jason Touw -

Long time, no talk about this issue.  Well some has changed and then again some has not.

What has not changed:  Emails to students still not being delivered.

What has changed:  I now have a test "dummy" student account to troubleshoot this further.  

What else has changed:  We are running the correct install of Moodle v3.0.3 for Windows and using MariaDB and IIS.  Turned out, we were running a windows build that used Apache and MySQL which is NOT recommended on a Windows Server.  Now it runs like a top!  

What else:  Our internet gateway no longer goes through a regional education center, instead we have a direct connection to the internet.

I am wondering if anyone would be willing to offer some advice on where to start to find out why emails from Moodle do not reach our student accounts (@students.sitedomain.org), but do go to faculty (@sitedomain.org) and do go to any other email (yahoo, gmail, aol, outlook, etc.).  School starts for us in one month so now is a good time to try to get to the bottom of it.

Thank you!

In reply to Jason Touw

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

Moodle / MySQL / Apache under Windows may not be recommended, but we find it more stable than IIS.

Can't comment on the rest of the stuff, but just placing on record that a properly setup config with Apache is a lovely thing.

In reply to Jason Touw

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You haven't said how your email is setup...are you using an smtp server?  If so, have you looked at the settings in your smtp server?  Perhaps that is where the block is.  The fact that you are receiving mail means that Moodle is sending it.  So, others are correct when they state that this is not a moodle issue.

In your messaging settings, have you selected to the option to send all emails from the noreply address?  This often stops issues with email servers rejected emails because there is a discrepancy between the sender and the return address.  Gmail and Yahoo have notorious about blocking certain moodle emails when this option is not selected.  

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Ken Task -

If the addresses are now under a Google for Education domain there is also some items one might need to change/add on the google end of things.    Dunno what those are exactly, but Google folks would be able to help there.

'spirit of sharing', Ken