Why is 3.0 running so slow

Why is 3.0 running so slow

by Clinton Randolph -
Number of replies: 6

My site is hosted by our IT sub and it on a very robust machine.  They are telling me it is barely taxing the machine and yet it loads very slow logging in and switching between pages doing anything on the site.  We consistently use Chrome.  can anyone give me some advice?   This seems to be an issue with Lexity?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Clinton Randolph

Re: Why is 3.0 running so slow

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It could be a slow javascript request, see what a page refresh is like with Javascript temporarily turned off.

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Clinton, which version of PHP? and are you using any accelerator?

powerful server doesn't always means performance, it always  comes down to finding a sweet spot of hardware architecture, plus tuned software.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm going to move this to Hardware & Permance...

However, can you give us a bit more info about your server. Is this a *real* box or is it a VM. Slow page loads imply it is waiting for something. My old favourite, slow disks can have a significant affect.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Is this related to your "Problems with Chrome after upgrade" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=326142, or could you solve it and this came later? If you could solve it, make it a point to post your solution in the discussion.

P.S. The full set of initial information in case of performance problems is visible only during typing a new discussion in this forum - click on "Add a new discussion topic".

by Jeff White -
I would recommend seeing what is taking so long to load smile. Try using an analytic tool (like Piwik) to see what parts of your page is slow on loading for and end user. 

I had something similar where our server was hardly clocking but it was taking time to load pages. After some digging it was determined that some of the external libraries were taking a while to load because of how the network traffic behaved. In my case it was the Google Web Fonts that you can set in the Essential theme. After I set it to use standard font the problem went away. You can easily see what scirpts are running using No Script on firefox or hit F12 in Chrome. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)