English Test

English Test

by mike john -
Number of replies: 1

Hello,

I would like to make an English test website with moodle.

As you know in english test, the questions need to inside a block.
For as example: We will have a passage and follow it is several questions.. The question can not separated from the passage because the tesk taker need to have the passage to answer.

Perhaps you can say that i can make the quiz with the question have the order. However, because i want to make the practice test so i need to use the random function. I will build a test bank with 20 passages and it have 80 question. In one quiz , i just need to have about 3 passages and their questions appear randomly. 

Is it possible in Moodle?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to mike john

Re: English Test

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mike,

Yes it can be done with a little work and planning by using a description question type for each passage, but it will not be completely random because you cannot randomly select description question types to go in a quiz. You have to manually place them in a test, but then you can randomly select questions to go with the passage.

For each passage, create a separate question category...so you are going to need 20 of them. Any question you create for each passage, needs to be in the same category as the passage it applies to so that you can force the random selection process to get questions that match the passage. Now, when you create your quiz make it 3 pages, you pick three passages and put it's description as the first question on a page. Then randomly select actual questions from it's category. You decide however many questions you want to go with the passage that is in the description for the page. Repeat for your other pages.

Make other versions of the quiz by using other passages paired with the correct questions.

Personally, I think it would be easier to make 20 separate quizzes and decide at the last moment, which three you want have the students take.

Alternative 1 - if the passages are short just include them in the question, then you can randomize the whole quiz but your students might wind up having to answer questions from many passages instead of 3.

Alternative 2 - Use a CLOZE type question. Put your passage first, and then a bunch of questions right after it as part of the same CLOZE question. Can't randomly decide what questions, since they would all be part of the same CLOZE question, but you could make multiple versions.