Prevent Students from Seeing the Groups

Prevent Students from Seeing the Groups

by Bugs Bunny -
Number of replies: 6
Hello everyone,

I have a question. I automatically create groups of 3 in my classes. But I do not want any of the students to see these groups. That is, I do not even want them to know that the groups exist. Is it possible?

By the way, I am new to Moodle and am not an administrator. I do not know which version of Moodle my school uses.

Thank you very much in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bugs Bunny

Re: Prevent Students from Seeing the Groups

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Welcome to Moodle! The docs are a good place to start (Groups) (Groupings) to learn about different features.

One thing I will say is that I thought I had eliminated all trace of kids knowing about groups, but then I realized they could see what groups they were in in their profiles, so I had to remove groups from appearing there (in Admin - Users - Permissions - User Policies: scroll down to Hide user fields, and in addition to what you have already selected there, select 'Groups'

In reply to John Provasnik

by Bugs Bunny -
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I checked the course page but I could not find that option. Either I look at the wrong place, or I do not have the permission to do so, or I use a different version of Moodle.

I will update this post once I figure everything out.
In reply to Bugs Bunny

by Dave Emsley -

Hi,

Not sure if you have resolved this but go to your course.

In Course Administration -> Edit Settings

Go down to the Groups section and change to Visible Groups.  This will mean the students know nothing about the groups.

HTH

Attachment MoodleTemp.jpg
In reply to Bugs Bunny

by Kim Bergstrom -
Hi Bugs Bunny. Did you find a solution to the group viewing problem? Did it work for you, and can you walk me through the steps?
In reply to Kim Bergstrom

by Bugs Bunny -

Hello! Unfortunately, I could not solve the problem because none of the above mentioned options appear in my version of Moodle. But I found out that the students cannot see the groups anyway. I switched roles to see the course as a student and also I checked with my students and they told me that they cannot see the groups. I believe it all depends on the your Moodle settings and whether you can change the settings or not.

In reply to Bugs Bunny

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

If it helps, you can see the version of Moodle in use if you click at the bottom of the page on Moodle Docs.  At the top of that page it will show the version.