Different view with gapfill questions from preview to quiz.

Different view with gapfill questions from preview to quiz.

by ANDRES DIAZ GAMA -
Number of replies: 9

Hi everybody, hope you guys can help me.

I'm using version 2.9 and i'm making a quiz using gapfill questions, the problem is that after i add my gapfill questions, in the moment i click on preview in the question bank, the gaps looks perfect. But when i run the quiz, the gaps turns and crosses the page horizontaly, like one big gap for each question instead short gaps.

What can i do to make it look just like the previews?

I'm adding both examples:

The preview and the quiz view.

Attachment Preview gapfill question.jpg
Attachment Quiz view gapfill question.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to ANDRES DIAZ GAMA

Re: Different view with gapfill questions from preview to quiz.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Can you do an xml export and attach to a post here? Also what theme are you using (not that it should make any difference)

In reply to Marcus Green

by ANDRES DIAZ GAMA -

Hi Marcus, i'm using Essential Theme.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Can you do the xml export (there is an export option in the question bank menu structure). I have just had a try with the Essential theme and it seems to display OK, but send me your xml if you can. Contact me directly at marcusavgreen at gmail.com if you have any problems.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Marcus Green -
I am not able to reproduce the symptoms you are seeing, I have imported your question bank into Moodle 2.9 and set the theme to essential but the questions display as I would expect. Just to be absolutely certain I tried the Mexican Spanish language pack as well (not that I would expect that to make any difference at all). There must be some other difference that is causing the problem for you. It seems very likely that there is a difference in the CSS that is affecting the display of the gap. Can you try setting the fixed gapsize setting to on to see if that makes any difference. I have tried with I.E, Mozilla and Chrome and get the same result in each one.

Here is a screen shot from my site

Attachment gapfilltest.png
In reply to Marcus Green

by ANDRES DIAZ GAMA -

Hi Marcus, i have tried the fixed gap size settings and nothing happened. I'm gonna ty with different language pack and see if that's the problem.

Thx again.

by Marcus Green -

I am almost certain it is not the language pack, that just a wild stab in the dark (a really wild one). It is probably something to do with the CSS,  have you tried it with the theme that comes with core called clean? 

In reply to Marcus Green

by ANDRES DIAZ GAMA -

Yes, that's actually the theme i'm using right now to make the quiz runs like it should. But the theme for my entire platform is essential though. Ican't change themes everytime i have to use gapfill. But i'm gonna have to find out the problem in the css like you told me to.

Thx.

by Marcus Green -
My apologies, I didn't mean that you should switch to using clean, just to confirm that the issue is with the theme so you would know where to concentrate. I can think of two possibilities, one is that you are running a different version of essential, or a different combination of essential and Moodle than I am. The other (more likely) is that your setup puts some additional CSS in that is affecting the display of the question type.

If it were me I would try to get a duplicate of the web site (maybe with the same database but none of the data), uninstall the essential theme and then re-install the essential theme to see if the issue manifests itself with the basic essential. Then put in each of whatever options you have in essential until it breaks.  Another alternative is to fire up a browse, hit F12 and inspect the CSS from the browser to see if there are any clues as to the issue.  

In reply to Marcus Green

by ANDRES DIAZ GAMA -

Hi Marcus, please don't apologize i didn't mean to sound harsh last time. Please don't get me wrong, what i meant was that it actually could be the last option (change theme) but i'll do exactly what you suggest. 

I'll let you know what was the solution as soon as i find it.

I'm so greatful for your help.

I'll be in touch!

Thx!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)