Another vote: Move the re-do question button?

Another vote: Move the re-do question button?

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Re-do question was a new optional feature added in Moodle 2.9.

But for some reason, I put the button in the info box, which is just stupid, particularly in some other languages. (Thanks to Alain Benoit at MDL-52814 for that screen-grab. I like the image in the feedback!)

The problem

It would clearly be better to put the button in the feedback in the Yellow feedback box:

Suggested

Well, I think that is clearly better. This is your chance to point out if I am wrong.

(Sadly, I think the rules of the Moodle development game mean that this sort of change can only go into Moodle 3.1.)

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Another vote: Move the re-do question button?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I think the new location would be an improvement. +1

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joshua Bragg -

I think that's a no-brainer also.  

The only caveat that I can think of here is that it might confuse people to have both a "try again" and a "redo question" button.  But that's a low stakes issue in my mind.

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There is no situation where the Redo question and Try again buttons would both be visible on-screen at the same time.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Hunt -

I just spent an enjoyable two days at the E-Assessment in Mathemtaical Sciences conference. It turns out that we are not the only people to think of this feature. Numbas has it too. Except that they call the button "Try another question like this one".

I can't help thinking that is much clearer than our "Redo question" button. Shall we steal their text? What do other people think?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Margaret Matthias -

I vote for try another rather than redo which to me implies getting to do the same question again.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Margaret Matthias

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks Tim for your suggestion to change the button 'Redo question' to 'Try another question like this one'. Thanks also to Margaret for your feedback.

I have changed the language string in the English fixes language pack so that it will appear in the upcoming 3.2 English language pack.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Dan Noonan -

Hi Helen,

I really could not follow the logic train on changing the button from 'Redo' to 'try another question like this one'. Especially when a student clicks that button they are given the exact same question again (not one 'like this one').

Anyway, I have no expectations that this will be changed back. 

Can you please tell me where to go to change the wording of that button to something I want, like 'Retry' or 'Redo'.

I understand that any upgrade would break the change, but am happy to stay  on top of that to get rid of this current behavior.

Many thanks,

Dan

In reply to Dan Noonan

Re: Changing the wording to 'Redo'

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Dan,

You can easily change the wording to 'Redo' or 'Retry' using the Language customisation feature. The component is mod_quiz and the string identifier is redoquestion.

Also, when you upgrade, your wording change will be kept; you won't have to do it again.

I guess that the likelihood of a student getting the same question again rather than a different one depends on the size of the question bank?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Changing the wording to 'Redo'

by Dan Noonan -

Helen, 

Your the best!!!!!

Thank you so much for the quick reply and perfect instructions.

Take care,

Dan

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What was the most interesting thing you saw at the EAMS conference Tim?

In reply to Marcus Green

by Tim Hunt -

No. Just one of the easiest to action. I must finish my blog post.