Shortcut to aggregate grading workflow ("You have assignments that need attention")

Shortcut to aggregate grading workflow ("You have assignments that need attention")

by Cris Fuhrman -
Number of replies: 3

As an instructor who gives a lot of small assignments requiring feedback in several Moodle courses at the same time, I'm wondering if there's a way to display an aggregate of all of my "assignments that need attention."

Currently I can find this from the "My courses" shortcut, /my/, but it appears several times as a single line for each course (where appropriate). Furthermore, each line (in each course) has to be clicked to be expanded.

You have assignments that need attention  <-- clicked

Assignment: Blah1
Due date: Thursday, 21 January 2016, 3:00 PM
Assignment: Blah2
Due date: Thursday, 21 January 2016, 3:00 PM
Assignment: Blah3
Due date: Thursday, 4 February 2016, 3:00 PM
Assignment: Blah4
Due date: Thursday, 4 February 2016, 3:00 PM
Is there a URL I can go to that would show all the current grading required for all courses? This is very useful for me to keep up with the grading, but it's kind of "buried" in the Moodle interface. 
In reply to Cris Fuhrman

Re: Shortcut to aggregate grading workflow ("You have assignments that need attention")

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Cris,

If you can install add-ons, the Grade Me block can do that for you. I have the block on the front page of my Moodle sites with it set to display on any page. When I'm, or any other teacher, is on the front page the Grade Me block will show everything that I need to grade. When I or any other teacher, the block shows only items in that course that needs grading. It can be set to monitor any assignment, data base, forum, glossary, or any quiz that has essay questions.

The FN Marking Manager can be used in a similar manner for Assignments, Quizzes, and Forums. It can also provide other information.

In reply to AL Rachels

Re: Shortcut to aggregate grading workflow ("You have assignments that need attention")

by Kathryn Davis -

We use the native Recent Activity block. When pulling a full report of recent activity you can sort by student, assignment, group, date since you last graded and more. Sounds like the Grade Me block would require less work though. And I see it's configured to work with groups. I'll check it out.

In reply to Kathryn Davis

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I didn't mention it, but using the Grade Me block setup the way I mentioned will save a lot of navigation clicks. Instead of having to go to a course > activity > grade page > grade page for a student, you can get directly to the grading page for a student right from the Grade Me block by clicking the check mark that will be in front of their name. Then, since the block will also show on the grading page, you can jump directly to another student, if you need to.

Also, if you know how to program, it is pretty easy to create and add plugins for Grade Me that it doesn't presently have. Before I retired I had my own plugins for other graded activities such as the Journal and Podcast.