SCORM in a window doesn't use the full window (major showstopper!)

SCORM in a window doesn't use the full window (major showstopper!)

by Henry Quinn -
Number of replies: 7
Moodle 2.8 (latest version)

I'm a new adopter to Moodle converting over from eFront.  I've ran into a major roadblock that is preventing me from using Moodle.

The SCORM module does not allow the SCORM player to occupy the full screen.  I have it set to open the SCORM player in a new window but a banner with the username always displays across the top taking up a lot of space.  In eFront I used to be able to open the SCORM player in its own maximized window where the player takes up 100% of the window's vertical space (and proportionally in the X direction). 

I have tried editing mod/scorm/player.php to not render the header, but that only resulted in an error being presented below the scorm player stating there is something wrong with the code.

How do I get rid of that banner across the top?

Thank you!
Enrique

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Henry Quinn

Re: SCORM in a window doesn't use the full window (major showstopper!)

by Chris Roper -

We are using 2.8 and have SCORM modules running in a new window without any banners at the top.

The settings in the appearance section are:

Display package: New window

Display Activity name: NOT checked

Display course structure on entry page: No

Display attempt status: My Home and entry page.

Then click "Show more...."

Set Width and Height to be 100% each.

Allow window to be scrolled (useful for laptops and other small screens)

Display course structure in player = Disabled

Hope that helps.

In reply to Chris Roper

by Dale Musselman -

Not sure if this is relevant, but we have noticed with SCORM modules that at least when embedded in the current page, what Moodle is doing is creating an iframe for the start page of the module. This will normally be an html page such as index.html. We have issues with the way Storytime modules play that are due to the html in that page. For instance that the module is centered vertically instead of aligned to the top, so we get a blank space above the module, which gets pushed down the page.

For you situation, you may be telling moodle to make the iframe 100%, but then inside at frame, you need to control how the module page is displaying the content. You should be able to check by opening the start page directly in a browser, and see what happens when you resize the browser to fit the content.

In reply to Dale Musselman

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

that particular issue shouldn't be a problem if you are using an up-to-date version of Articulate to publish your SCORM packages - Articulate released an update to Storyline which should prevent this from happening.

In reply to Henry Quinn

by Simon Rediss-Whitfield -

Hi Enrique,

2.8 is not the latest version? as I dont have a version still running of 2.8 I can only go off 2.9.

IN the scorm settings under appearance in show more do you now have the option to hide the display names and disable navigation panes?

In reply to Simon Rediss-Whitfield

by Henry Quinn -

Greetings Simon.  Indeed I did disable the names and all navigation panes.  I disabled anything that adds another element in the window.  Also, I am using Moodle 3.0.2., the latest as of today (I declared the incorrect version previously).  Please refer to the attached screenshot.  This is what I see with the default theme.  There is extra whitespace in the window.  In other LMSs, the SCORM player resizes itself to the parent window but Moodle might be using an iFrame or something similar that adds space around it.  This forces the user to scroll down to see the entire Scorm player (which include navigation controls).  That's my problem. 

I have the window set up to use 100% width/height.  The Scorm player should maximize itself within that window without requiring scrolling.  This issue is specific to Moodle.

Attachment SCORM player problem..jpg
In reply to Henry Quinn

by Henry Quinn -

Correction... I am running Moodle Version 3.0.2.

In reply to Henry Quinn

by Sam Stevens -

I'm not on 3.0 yet however on my version if you disable the title and navigation option in the settings moodle still allocates a div and space for them. Try adding these to the custom css 

/* remove white space from the top of scorm player*/

body#page-mod-scorm-player { padding-top: 0px;}

#scormtop { display: none; }

Average of ratings: Useful (1)