Formatting text here in the software of this forum.

Formatting text here in the software of this forum.

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -
Number of replies: 8

The use of Orange on White is difficult to see.  There are HTML formatting codes that can make this orange with a black border.
What can be done to persuade the powers that be to make the change?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

Re: Formatting text here in the software of this forum on moodle.org

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your feedback. I agree with you about orange and white being more difficult to read. When we have the resources, we'll certainly look into making visual improvements to moodle.org. Unfortunately I'm not sure exactly when it will happen though.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Just to say, I don't have a problem with the orange on white, since it is only headings (= big text).

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Depending on the screen, and settings, i do have problems to visually see quickly new messages (with orange color). I'm pretty sure i already complained about that some months (years ?) ago, when new look was introduced...

In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

The problem is bigger than just orange on white.  It is the faint scroll bar tabs,   It is text boxes that are almost invisible until the mouse is on them.  It is having options in menus and bars of icons that look as if they are disabled.

I so want the ADA to step in and force these "designers" to make it optional to have these impossible-to-read features and see if anyone actually chooses them.  I have been asking around and have yet heard a single explanation why this grey plague has infested our software for the last 4 years.

Other than color coding, can anyone explain why it is happening here?  As i said earlier, there are easy HTML codes to use that will create lettering with a black outline.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The grey on grey and contrast issues have been discussed many times, including things like the icons, and I have never yet seen what I consider to be a good answer from anyone as to why this (to me) low contrast option seems to have become the default - in fairness its not just Moodle, I seem to see it in lots of places.

@Steve, if you are referring to text-shadow css (stroke is webkit only), you may also need to bear in mind that this is not supported in IE9 without the additional use of filters and does have a few other (minor) issues that would need to be avoided too. I'm also not convinced that outlining text is necessarily a good way to deal with this - I'd prefer better contrast definition brought into the colour choices in the first place. To me, text outlining is ok on very large text such as posters, but shouldn't really be used on something like these orange forum headers (but that's a personal like/dislike not backed by any accessibility research etc)

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

Interesting,  Text-shadow works in my Moodle.

<style>

.TS{    text-shadow:
    -1px -1px 0 #000,
    1px -1px 0 #000,
    -1px 1px 0 #000,
    1px 1px 0 #000;  }

</style>

I test my work on Firefox, IE, Chrome and Oprah.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Yes, its supported from IE10, its IE9 and below that aren't, as I said. But IE9 is still a supported browser.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that there are a couple of things to bear in mind like filters for older IE versions smile

http://caniuse.com/#feat=css-textshadow

While it can be done, I'm still not sure it should be. I added the text-shadow to this forum using firebug to see what it would look like and to me it looks far worse on the kind of font size used here. It renders the post title almost unreadable to me.

As I said, I agree with you about the contrast levels of some of the colours used, I'm just not sure that text outlining is the way to deal with it smile

Outlining headings

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -
Mea Culpa,...  I did not intend for that to read as a criticism of Moodle or its coders.  I should have been more clear to reflect that it is  much bigger than Moodle itself.  Many roads do seem to point to Microsoft as being the origination of all this.