HelpDesk Support

HelpDesk Support

by Matt Polaniecki -
Number of replies: 3
I need to create a role that has access to reset user passwords but not edit courses. Is this possible without making them site administrators?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Polaniecki

Re: HelpDesk Support

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Matt,

You could modify the manager role and remove (unset) a bunch of course editing capabilities such as moodle/course:update. Please see the documentation Creating custom roles for details.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Matt Polaniecki -

Thank you so much for this advice. I tried it but the user can still edit courses even though I disabled all of the settings for course updates. Any further suggestions? It's really bad that a helpdesk technician can edit the courses.

Course
Change course categorymoodle/course:changecategory AllowXSS risk
Change course full namemoodle/course:changefullname AllowXSS risk
Change course ID numbermoodle/course:changeidnumber AllowXSS risk
Change course short namemoodle/course:changeshortname AllowXSS risk
Change course summarymoodle/course:changesummary AllowXSS risk
Review course enrolmentsmoodle/course:enrolreview AllowPrivacy risk
Mark users as complete in course completionmoodle/course:markcomplete Allow
Update course settingsmoodle/course:update AllowXSS risk

Category enrolments
Role assignments synchronised to course enrolmentenrol/category:synchronised Allow
Course categories
Manage categoriesmoodle/category:manage AllowXSS risk
See hidden categoriesmoodle/category:viewhiddencategories Allow
Category enrolments
Configure category enrol instancesenrol/category:config Allow
Course
Change course categorymoodle/course:changecategory AllowXSS risk
Edit question categoriesmoodle/question:managecategory AllowXSS riskSpam risk

In reply to Matt Polaniecki

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hmm, there seems to be rather a lot of capabilities that would need to be removed.

You could try removing the moodle/course:view capability, then your helpdesk technician would not be able to enter any courses without enrolling.

However, on reflection, I think the best solution might be to create a new custom role rather than modifying the manager role. The new role should be a system role (assignable in the system context), with the capability moodle/user:update allowed. Please note that this would allow your helpdesk technician to change anything in a user's profile, not just their password.