Multi Directory making across all Users

Multi Directory making across all Users

by Daniell Goodin -
Number of replies: 4

Hi team, 

Have spent a day on this with research and had no luck so far. 

I have googled and read and tried but as yet no luck so I am reaching out to see if it can be done. 

As you can see by the screen snap below, I want too create multiply directories for my students in which to keep their uploads in. I have created the format in one users account now..but I want to copy this same structure across to all users that log in.

The problem I face is.. 

After creating the necessary directories I can download them in the correct structure..i.e as a zip but then I can't import this in to the private files of other users accounts (as admin )

is there a trip to this or does it have to be done manually all the time?

As I see I cant just do the drop and drag as you can do with multiply files. 

thanks in advance for any replys

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniell Goodin

Re: Multi Directory making across all Users

by Daniell Goodin -

Ok, easy once you know how. 

I should have Googled.. 

" batch upload a set of folders  to a students portal in Moodle"

Anyway, the simple method is glaringly obvious... 

• Make the directories as you want them to be.
  • Zip them up. 
  • drag and drop the files to the students file area
  • unzip the directory structure
  • delete zip file
  • Save

Now I am sure there is a way to do it across 100-200 students so that you do not have to manually log in to the accounts, but as yet haven't found that way.  

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Daniell,

Things like this that have no batch way of being done, can be a real pain. Before retiring, when I had to do things like this, I made the students do all the work. I set it up as a graded assignment with step-by-step directions, usually in a book resource, with plenty of pictures and any files they needed. I even used the Checklist activity to track everything so that I could see at a glance who had and had not finished. Very handy if someone was absent. I refined the directions as needed each time/semester/year, (that's the advantage of having the directions in a book) so that by the time I retired, I was only having to correct/help one or two people. Definitely better that having to do them all myself.

Now-a-days, with completion tracking and restrict access, you can make it so they can't do anything else until it is done correctly and approved by you.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Scan the various https://docs.moodle.org/en/Repositories and see whether one fits your needs.

P.S. It was a mistake to "google" - whatever that means, you should have looked at the header of this (Repositories) forum https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=1807 instead!
;-(
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Daniell Goodin -

Hi Mr Ratnaweera, 

Thanks for your reply.. 

I have spotted a few of your other replies around the forum and see that after many years you have had a hand in the development of Moodle..

Unfortunately I didn't find your reply to a question in the Synology thread to be of actual use.. So I found that by making a tutorial for others, it should help them not face the same difficulty that I faced getting my own Moodle up and running so that my students could access it to further their study.

It's a bit the same for your reply here..

Actually I am very familiar with forum layouts and have thousands of posts in tech forums across the net and have also been feely quick to jump on people who post into the wrong sections..

In this instance, I had done my research and waded through a maze of sub forums before deciding to post here..

Thus if you feel its in the wrong.spot, please use your mod powers and get it shifted..

As to the Google comments...

no need for those.. 

Google has helped me immensely over these last two weeks to get the site up and running.. Unfortunately Google also seems.to like to throw up outdated information on Moodle and as its still a work in motion.. I look forward to the batch command that I was looking for..

Whch was..

A duplication of a set of folders across multiple clients within the Moodle system done by a teacher or administrator.

So to finish up..as its getting late here in the land of Aus..

I look forward to working with Moodle more and sharing my experience .. As you can see by my setup, it is only small but serves it purpose and already after only a week, more then 20 mature age students are very glad that I have made the effort to use this platform in which to further their study..

Enjoy your coming week Mr Ratnaweera...

It's small steps up the learning curve for a lot of new users..

Average of ratings: Useful (1)