Custom URLs for students in a Quiz

Custom URLs for students in a Quiz

by H Singh -
Number of replies: 3

I am teaching a small class (~ 20 students) consisting of grad students. In an exam, I need to specify some custom URLs / PDF attachments for each student ahead of time. The questions involve the students studying the document and writing about it as a response to the quiz.

Of course, I could do that specification outside of Moodle manually, but I wish to avoid that, for record keeping purposes - our policies require retention of student records for future information requests.

Is this possible in the Quiz module? If not, what other Moodle activity might do this job? (Besides the fact that this is for an exam, I do not actually need the Quiz module).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to H Singh

Re: Custom URLs for students in a Quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't think you can do the "specific resources for each different student" in the Moodle quiz.

You probably can do that with other Moodle tools. E.g. you could use a wiki, set to be an 'Individual wiki'. That way, you get a separate page for each student where you can put the links. (You can hide it from students until the exam starts, and even take away their permission to edit.)

Then you can put a link to that wiki into the quiz.

In reply to H Singh

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Does it matter if each student sees the URL's and PDF attachments for other students? If not, then start your quiz with a description type question with everyone's URL's and PDF attachments listed there, with instructions telling the students to make sure they us ONLY THEIR information.

You could do the same thing with a text only Assignment activity or with the Journal activity by placing everyone's URL's and PDF attachments into the activity description.

One other possibility would be to use the Dialog activity. Start a dialog with each individual student....but Dialog is not graded.
In reply to AL Rachels

by H Singh -

That is a good idea. It really does not matter if they can see other students' links.