Is there anything comparable to the Moodle Quiz Engine?

Is there anything comparable to the Moodle Quiz Engine?

by Joshua Bragg -
Number of replies: 37

I imagine many of the regulars here know that I use the Moodle quiz system for a massive interactive homework and formative feedback system.  In a nutshell, students work practice problems and input their answers into Moodle.  I've spent lots of time writing feedback for common wrong answers so that students can figure out what they're doing wrong on their own.  The most important behavior to me is Adaptive mode (no penalties), although I do use deferred feedback for practice timed quizzes and immediate feedback with and without CBM for other purposes.  If you want more information then I'll post a link to my US Moot Presentation from 2015.

I've been using Moodle somewhat out on my own since 2009.  I was briefly on our school district's staff development Moodle site before they moved hosting and told me to take care of myself.  I've set up our school's own Moodle site and we've been humming along happily since.

Recently, our district finally decided to join the current decade and get an LMS and signed a contract with Haiku Learning to be our district's LMS provider.  Now sixth months later, I've been informed that Haiku is now our district's standard and we're not allowed to use any other LMS to deliver content to students.  I have until August to find a replacement for my homework/quiz system.

To put it simply, Haiku's quiz system is gigantic flaming pile of canine refuse.  It is quite literally in the same spot that Moodle's quiz system was in on March 3, 2003 way back in 1.0.  In fact, I've yet to find a single thing that Haiku can do that Moodle can't other than a gradebook integration with our SIS.  Of course the only reason our school Moodle couldn't do that is because I never bothered to ask our district folks because I knew the answer would be no.  The only reason being given for the pick of Haiku is the "Haiku is easy to use."  Our IT department thinks that the elementary school teachers are incapable of doing much at all.

I'm heartbroken to say the least.  I love my school and love my district and love my home.  I'm incredibly angry about being asked to just throw away years worth of work on the homework system.  I'm in a bad position as far as my future goes in terms of the choices I'm going to need to make.

In the short term, I'm researching alternatives to the Moodle quiz system.   Does anyone have any suggestions for things to look at?  I'm open to just about anything that will let me approximate the Moodle quiz system.  The features of Moodle Quizzes that I consider to be absolutely critical to the proper functioning of the system in my chemistry class are listed here:

• Fully automated grading
  • Supports numeric answers with units
  • Supports short answer with wildcards or some regex matching
  • Can display feedback for individual specific wrong answers
  • Allows essentially unlimited attempts by students
  • Question randomization
  • Statistics that allow me to identify common wrong answers

Features that I also use quite a bit that have huge value to me that aren't absolutely imperative:

• Calculated type questions
  • Drag and Drop question types
  • The ability to group subquestions together so I can assess the student's work directly (I've been using Cloze for this mostly although Combined questions and STACK both allow this)
  • CBM, Immediate Feedback, Deferred feedback

I'll take any suggestions or comments you have no matter how out of the box.  I'm not completely given up on having to let Moodle leave me behind in the dark ages but I do need to do the research on other options along the way.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joshua Bragg

Re: Is there anything comparable to the Moodle Quiz Engine?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

So, you are not allowed to use Moodle as an LMS. However, surely you are allowed to link to other learning resources (e.g. selected YouTube videos, Kahn Academy, etc.) from your new course site?

And, one would hope that the would not care about the underlying technology of the other sites you link to, just educational quality of the materials, and issues like data protection.

So, why would they care if you link to some specific online quizzes that just happen to be hosted on a Moodle somewhere? You can use https://moodle.org/plugins/local_ltiprovider to let another LMS connect to quizzes on a Moodle server. (I have not tried it, I just know it works in theory.)

So, certainly worth asking about that. I don't know much about other quiz systems, but other people here might know more.

Average of ratings: Useful (6)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Joshua- I haven't any suggestions to make other than to reiterate Tim's very good idea - but I just wanted to say how sorry I am sad I' m sure I have read on here somewhere else about a keen Moodler undergoing a Haiku takeover - maybe it is the same district?  

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Joshua

The short answer to the question in your subject is no. There is nothing remotely as capable as the Moodle quiz engine either free or paid for. Some excellent points from Tim.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joshua Bragg -

I've sortof already asked that question but  had forgotten about that plugin.  I did ask the question, "well can I just use Moodle for its quizzes and build everything else in Haiku?"  The answer was a categorical no.  Moodle is the plague it seems...

I shall ask again and see what the answer is.

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Joshua, your problem is that you are concerned about students' education and that you know that you have better tools.  Your administrators don't care about education, they only care about being bosses and making themselves "look" good.

I have had to take a hard position on this.  If I can link to other Internet places, I can link to my Moodle.  If I cannot link to other Internet places, have your IT department turn off the Internet.

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by ben reynolds -

Asking is always a risky venture. Asking lawyers is guaranteed to get you a no. Here, if the IT folks had a big stake in moving to Haiku, your answer will always be no.

But, why do you even need to ask? Who is running your Moodle now?

OTOH, grades might be an issue -- getting them into Haiku and your SIS. I usually find that if I don't give IT more pain (or even give IT less pain), they'll ignore what I'm doing with a big wink.

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Rick Jerz -

Joshua, are you in the same district as Doug.  See https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=327026#p1314719.

It might be that the publishers have better quiz engines because they can cross link to the electronic version of the textbook.  This is just an idea, but I haven't really explored these myself.

Would your district allow you to pick the textbook publisher's website?  If so, the students typically pay a fee for this.  If this is the case, maybe you should suggest to the district that instead of using the publishers' quiz engine and forcing students to pay for this, that you can provide a free solution by linking to your moodle (oh, only for quizzes).

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Joshua Bragg -

I like your style... I already pointed out that WebAssign has similar functionality for what I want to do but is $10.50/student for K12.  They laughed and said, "well that's not happening."

Doug and I are in the same district.  I had missed his post but I'm subscribed there now also.

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Joshua Bragg -

It has been a little while since I posted this but I wanted to let everyone know of the progress on things.  I sent our tech folks an email suggesting using Moodle as an LTI provider last week.  I have yet to get any response.  I imagine this means that they'd like to say no but have no rational basis for saying no...  I'll continue to keep you posted along the way.  I foresee this being a long and drawn out battle.

The interesting tidbit in all of this is that our career and technical education folks use a Moodle instance run out of NC State University for their classes.  This is run for the entire state of North Carolina... Like I said this is going to be an interesting battle.  You should have seen the looks on the tech folks faces when I pointed that out...

For the record, I would miss this community of people almost as much as I would miss the software.  It makes me sad to think that I might ever stop seeing my inbox full of messages from Moodle.org.  I'm reminded of this tweet from years ago...

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Christopher Sangwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Joshua,

The issue of linking one system to another is the same for me here in Edinburgh!  The institutionally supported system is Blackboard, internally branded as "Learn".  We already link in a number of other quiz tools (QMP, MapleTA) to address needs which are not satisfied by Blackboard's own quiz system.

I recently set up the LTI provider plugin which Tim mentioned, to test a moodle->moodle link.  The plugin worked out of the box, which was impressive.  I'm now in the process of gaining access to the institutionally provided LTI consumer plugin so I can use quizzes with my students.

I've created three versions of STACK.

V1 was a stand alone VLE!  This sounds mad, but I built everything from scratch, with help from developers in Birmingham and York.  "Moodle is too complicated" was the message I got back in 2002 from colleagues.  But then they wanted features, such as posting notes, email, differentiated roles.....  Clearly doing everything wasn't sustainable.

V2 tried to abstract out questions and "plug them into a quiz".  This sort of worked, but was very unsatisfactory, and at the time web services were not as well developed.  We had a project to do this and needed to create a protocol to link questions into quizzes.  Also, I learned along the way that the "question level" isn't a satisfactory level of granularity to work at.  Too many settings for each question and too much question/quiz interaction.  This is where the elegance of the "question behaviour" layer in Moodle is such sensible design, even if I only regularly use one or two of them myself....

V3 (current version) was fully committed to the Moodle quiz.  This was the correct decision, even if it means the kind of "vendor lock in" which you are suffering from now.

So, I'm very likely to be making use of LTI to expose Moodle quizzes to students (just as we do with MapleTA actually in Edinburgh), and since my work on V2 standards appear to really have matured. I'm quite excited, and somewhat relieved, that this appears at this stage to be such a viable option.

Protocols such as LTI are deeply unglamorous glue.  E.g. you only notice them when they break!  This might be just what you need.

Chris

In reply to Christopher Sangwin

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

"Protocols such as LTI are deeply unglamorous glue." True, but the benefits are really awesome

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Tony Gardner-Medwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Joshua - I'm pretty late spotting this discussion. I like your practice and feedback approach - perhaps with students working together as well as on their own. So far as I can see, my CBM Self-Test software at www.tmedwin.net/cbm/selftests would satisfy all of your 'critical' requirements and most of the others. It doesn't implement Drag & Drop or Cloze, since they would require multiple certainty ratings and would tend to become clunky with CBM, but pretty much everything else.

The use of CBM and immediate feedback are optional and, if appropriate, students can decide which questions to bother with and which to ignore - so they can challenge themselves on a subset of a very large file of questions. Everything about an exercise is specified in a single text file, which makes editing, annotation and management relatively simple. Students (authenticated on your server) can see their own past session data while staff can see data from selected individuals, exercises or questions. Student comments or queries about questions (very important in my view) are much easier to manage than on Moodle. The main manual is at www.tmedwin.net/cbm/selftests/sys/resource/manual.htm , though probably missing a number of tricks I haven't documented. As always, there are lots of things to improve - so I tend to encourage people in other institutions, unless doing development work, to access the software off my own site.

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Toni Soto -

Hi Joshua, 

I arrived to this thread by accident so I didn't know about your problem. It's really sad that after spending long time creating good educational resources for the benefit of your students and, without depending of commercial software now, you were being forced to leave it. 

I can't imagine how I'd react if I were in your situation. It's a nightmare. 

I think you summarized very well a sadly popular tendency nowadays regarding the arguments to move to new 'cool' applications:

"Haiku is easy to use."  Our IT department thinks that the elementary school teachers are incapable of doing much at all."

For whom is it easy to use? For teachers or for IT departments who outsource the service? And for what kind of teachers? For those who ask for every new and cool invent out there but abandon very soon or for those who want to make it sustainable and useful? 

I'm so sorry Joshua! I hope you had found a workaround to solve this issue. Count me as an allied to help and/or fight against this kind of unfair decisions. 

Let us know if common sense returns to your district. 

Best from Spain. 

Toni Soto 

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Joshua Bragg -

Hey all, since there has been some recent traffic again on this I realized I had never given you a final update.  The district officially approved the LTI integration and I think everything is on track for me to continue to use Moodle for the quizzes.  They do want me to transfer files and such into Haiku but that's no big deal.

As people here at school have been asking me about it, I've been telling people that "Haiku is simple to use but not very sophisticated.  On the other hand Moodle is so sophisticated and flexible that it is capable of embedding itself in Haiku.  That is what a superior LMS will do for you." That usually gets laughs from my students and faculty members...

I'm actually pretty grateful that Moodle is bundling the LTI provider functionality now in core with 3.1 so that I don't even need a plugin to do this.  So I'll still be hanging around here... Now that I know all of this, hopefully I can engage back here again and earn back my PHM status. sad  

Also, on another note, I'm actually going to be moving schools within my school district.  We have a satellite campus where all of the lower enrollment AP classes are taught.  I'll be teaching a full load of AP Chemistry at that school instead.  So actually, I'll be building an entirely new course all over again at the same time.  This is a definite upgrade in working conditions so I'm pretty excited to be making the move.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I just added my +1 for having back.

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Rick Jerz -

Glad to hear your update and that all is (pretty) well.

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Joshua

So can I safely say that Moodle has no peer when it comes to Quizzes?

Regards
Frankie Kam 

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Joshua Bragg -

I never found one...

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Daniel Thies -

I have been looking a lot at Numbas lately. This may actually be a response that would be helpful to the problem of the OP that has not been mentioned yet. It produces SCORM packages with quizzes with similar functionality to STACK and Formula qtypes. The packages can be uploaded into Moodle or any another LMS which is able to play SCORM. This means that the activities are very portable.

There are some considerable disadvantages to using SCORM rather than the native Moodle functionality. SCORM is bloated. Activities take long to load and use more bandwidth. Calculations are done on the client; so interactions are not available on the server to analyze easily.

The Numbas system is flexible and extensible. It might still be helpful to look at for some of your chemistry problems that are not easily formulated in the quiz.

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Marcus Green -

There is nothing even in the same category for functionalty.

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Rick Jerz -

I have access to the BCD group of LMSs, and I am unimpressed by these.  If they were indeed better, I would easily switch (I am always looking for the best.)  But Moodle is really good.  I do know that there is a lot of movement from B to C right now, but C does not compare at all with Moodle in my opinion.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Marcus Green -

I have not heard the term BCD before, nice!

In reply to Marcus Green

by Rick Jerz -

Marcus, I did not invent this acronym. I assume that you you know what these are.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Daniel Thies -
The acronymn may may only  be parochial, familiar only on this side of the pond.
In reply to Daniel Thies

by Rick Jerz -

Good point, Daniel.  And I am not sure which side you live on.  So BCD=Blackboard,Canvas,D2L.  smile

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Or Bad, Clunky and Disastrous - maybe more fitting!!

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Rick Jerz -

Emma, you surprised me.  I didn't think that you knew what I know about these other LMSs.  We are on the same wavelength today.  You made my day! wink

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I try to keep in the know -lol! wink

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Rick Jerz -

Okay.

"M" must be for "mellow", "mean" (as in lean and mean?, or "mean" to its neighbors), "musical" or "melodious" or something like that.  I don't know.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Marcus Green -

Marvellous!

In reply to Marcus Green

by Rick Jerz -

Ah, how did I not see this Marcus?  Now I know.  I must say, your are "Mar..." big grin

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Marcus Green -

I can think of only one meaning in this context, which should never be expanded to it's constituent words on these forums, only ever hinted at smile

In reply to Marcus Green

by Rick Jerz -

Notice that Moodle does not fit well in this group, it stands on its own!  smile

Realistically, if I was forced to choose between BCD, I am not sure which one I would pick.  C is coming on strong, but some of its features are worse than B.  They all lack the excellent support that one gets with Moodle.  big grin

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Marcus Green -

I was talking to the vendors from C and asked them to describe the product without saying "easy to use", they rose to the challenge rather well smile. Am now trying to think of an acronym that would include the letters M,B,C and D.....

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Derek Chirnside -

See https://www.edsurge.com/news/2016-09-27-a-timeline-of-google-classroom-s-march-to-replace-learning-management-systems

Maybe we need a G in there as well?

• Blackboard
  • Canvas
  • D2L
  • Edmodo
  • F
  • Google classroom

Nut this may be off topic.  You guys originally started off looking at quizzes.

[OT] now.  Also this http://mfeldstein.com/dammit-lms/

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Nut this may be off topic, but I couldn't resist. All this alphabet soup talk makes me think of a song written by my good friend NKC.

L is for the way you look at me
O is for the only one I see
V is very, very extraordinary
E is even more than anyone that you adore can

Regards
Frankie Kam