New modification to allow student use in large lectures

New modification to allow student use in large lectures

by Thomas Robb -
Number of replies: 6

My university is abandoning its current attendance tracking system which involves students tapping their embedded chip ID card on a station outside their classroom.  In its place, I am trying to get the university to adopt the attendance module. The module, however, in its current state cannot be used efficiently for student-based input.  It was primarily designed for use by teachers, or students in a computer lab environment.

Since we are in a hurry and I had the wherewithall to make the modifications myself, I haven't gone through the standard process of making a suggestion on the tracker.  My apologies to Dan Marsden! I hope, however, that the intended functionality can be implemented in the standard version of the module, rather than having to be a privately-managed alternate version with an alternate name.

What I have done is to allow the instructor to create a set of sessions with a unique code that is announced to the students at the beginning of each class.  There is also a setting called "minutes until late" that allows the teacher to set a time frame of perhaps 5-10 minutes after the start of the class, where the student is deemed "present".  After that, until the end of the class (as input by the instructor), the student would be marked "late".

There is also a function for specifying an IP address range, and if the student uses the attendance function outside that IP range, then the student is listed as "off site" rather than "present". This has not been thoroughly tested, however, and will not work if 1) the wifi transmitters in/near the classroom do not have specific IP addresses, or 2) students register with the smartphones while using their provider's connection rather than the university's WiFi system.

This is how it works. If students log in to the attendance module instance on the class page, they will simply see their attendance record.  If, however, their class is currently in progress, a window embedded in a red bar will appear at the top of the attendance display. If they then input the keyword, their attendance will be registered.

We have had to make one tweak to the "settings" where the instructor can set both the character used to specify the various attendance levels, as well as the description of the levels.  In the standard version of the module, these can be modified and the various levels specified in any order.  We now require the topmost level to represent "Present" and the 2nd level to represent "Late".  This is normally that case, but does not necessarily have to be input that way.

This version works (available at http://tomrobb.com/attendance-robb.tar -- 360mb) on Moodle 2.6 & 2.7 and might work on 2.8.  We are working on another version for 2.9 & 3.0.  This revision does need more testing.  If you do, beware that it does modify the database tables. attendance_sessions now contains two more fields "keyw" (keywords being used = "1") and "keyword" (specifies the keyword for each session).  This may or may not prevent you from reverting to the standard module if you decide to do so.  (No fields have been deleted, so it might not cause a problem.)

I look forward to your feedback!

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Thomas Robb

Re: New modification to allow student use in large lectures

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If I were Dan I'd think it was great that someone was making use of my code smile. It might be a good idea to put it it in Github as that is how most 3rd party code is made available and add some explanations as you have in your post. If you put it into Github as a fork of the original then people may find it when looking at the original.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'm really only the current "caretaker" of the code as I am not the original developer but it sounds like a great feature! - it would be great to see this part of the main plugin - if you submit a pull request using github it will automatically run the travis-ci checks including moodle coding guildelines check, as long as it doesn't introduce any new issues and is written well I'd be really happy to include it.

One important thing to mention though - Davo Smith recently developed a feature that already allows students to mark their own attendance which is already part of the main release, so your feature would need to be rewritten to work with this by adding the settings for IP ranges,  password for marking attendance, and the late timeframe flag - you should also probably have a selector that shows which attendance flag to use when the time-frame is up rather than hard-coding a value.

thanks for sharing your work so far!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Thomas Robb -

Thank you Marcus and Dan for your positive comments!  We have a few more small bugs to work out before we would want to upload it to git. We are using the version with Davo Smith's tweaks, I believe, so that should not be a problem.  More soon!....

In reply to Thomas Robb

by Roland Sherwood -

Hi Thomas. I read your post with great interest as we've recently started to think about ways to better manage the attendance monitoring process here, and the modifications you've made to the attendance module sound extremely useful. One tangential question I have (if you can speak on it) relates to why your institution is abandoning the chip ID scanning approach? I only ask because this is an approach that some consideration is being given to here, and I'd be very curious to know more about the real-world experiences of other institutions who have gone down this route.

In reply to Roland Sherwood

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Tom, do you have any descriptions of the project or procedure in Japanese?  I am presenting this on March 1st to our IT committee and need something in that language.  We developed the AttendanceSlip module ten years ago with similar functionality, but this goes further and integrates nicely with Attendance.  Hope you are doing a Lightning Talk on this at MoodleMoot Tokyo.
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Yezi Yang -

Hi,

I am really interesting in your attendance plugin. It is a perfect solution for our university attendance record. I wondered whether you are still working on developing the plugin. We will use Moodle 3.1 in the coming September. I really hope that our university can use your plugin in the near future.