sudden difficulties with GSAML login to Google Apps

sudden difficulties with GSAML login to Google Apps

by Carol Booth -
Number of replies: 4

Moodle 2.7 and Google Apps Intergration https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Google_Apps_Integration

We've been using the google integration blocks happily since 2013 but recently single sign on to Gmail has become unreliable with occasional failures logging in to gmail.  Today, most but NOT ALL users are unable to access gmail.

Has anyone had a similar experience?  

thanks,

Carol

We're getting the following error message from moodle:

Gmail feed (for c.booth100@wolsinghamschool.net) failed with:

Unauthorized

Error 401

• line 268 of /blocks/gmail/block_gmail.php: call to debugging()
  • line 138 of /blocks/gmail/block_gmail.php: call to block_gmail->obtain_gmail_feed()
  • line 785 of /blocks/moodleblock.class.php: call to block_gmail->get_content()
  • line 236 of /blocks/moodleblock.class.php: call to block_list->formatted_contents()
  • line 1002 of /lib/blocklib.php: call to block_base->get_content_for_output()
  • line 1054 of /lib/blocklib.php: call to block_manager->create_block_contents()
  • line 369 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to block_manager->ensure_content_created()
  • line 36 of /theme/essential/layout/includes/header.php: call to core_renderer->standard_head_html()
  • line 27 of /theme/essential/layout/frontpage.php: call to require_once()
  • line 885 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to include()
  • line 815 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()
  • line 101 of /index.php: call to core_renderer->header()
I want to work our if the problem is related to our new smoothwall filtering (which should be letting this straight through).  When I bypass our smoothwall, sign in to mail succeeds but this is not consistent with all users.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carol Booth

Re: sudden difficulties with GSAML login to Google Apps

by Carol Booth -

Well, we think we have localised the problem to the gmail block rather than GSAML.  Accessing gmail via URL like mail.google.com/a/ourschool.net seems to be authenticating users reliably.

The gmail block attempts to display a summary of email messages and authenticates using OAUTH.  This is the part that is failing.  Moodle is successfully meeting SAML requests from google (so a link like the one above lets users straight in to their email)

I cleared all caches and also reset and replaced the client secret in the gmail block config but this didn't solve the problem.  For now, I've simply hidden the gmail block and replaced it with an html block containing a link.

hmmm

In reply to Carol Booth

by Daniel Buza -

Hi Carol

I won't be much help at the moment but thought it was worth mentioning that we are experiencing the same. It worked intermittently on the 28th Jan around 9am and by 10am it was down completely. I have checked the feed manually to see if it was a Google issue using the address below and it returned the feed just fine.

https://username@domain.com:password@mail.google.com/mail/feed/atom

It would seem there is an OAUTH issue preventing the retrieval of feeds.

In reply to Carol Booth

by Kimber Warden -

Did you ever get this figured out? The Gmail block is giving me the same Unauthorized error, and we sure miss its functionality.