Negative Marking in Quiz

Negative Marking in Quiz

by SIDDHARTH SHUKLA -
Number of replies: 12

Hello,

I want to create a multiple choice quiz having negative markings in it.

I am not able to understand how to create negative marking setting.

Please suggest.

THanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to SIDDHARTH SHUKLA

Re: Negative Marking in Quiz

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Siddharth,

Negative marking is easy in a quiz if you use the "multiple choice" question type.  First, select 'more than one answer is possible'. Then give positive percentages to each good answer and negative percentages to each bad answer. The positive percentages should add up to 100, and the negative percentages should add up to -100.

If this was not the answer you were looking for, then I think you need to post some examples so we can understand what you mean.

Don

In reply to Don Hinkelman

by SIDDHARTH SHUKLA -

Thank you Tim and Don.

I am planning to conduct a 100 marks quiz of 100 questions in which a candidate will get 1 mark for correct answer and minus 1/4 for incorrect answers.

So I am willing to implement this negative marking system.

I am confused as to how I should setup this negative marking system. 

This system is necessary so that students can answer only if they know answers.

Please suggest.

THanks.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This multiple choice question awarded -100% to the minus 100 option and +100% to the One option and zero to the others.Negative Marks

In reply to Marcus Green

by SIDDHARTH SHUKLA -
Thanks Markus. If we go by your example does it mean we can also allot -25% to negative answers? Also how can we do that.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Rafael Aschoff -

Does anyone knows how to avoid that negative marking? I mean, I want a negative score for an item, but not outside the question (minimum mark 0)

Suppose I have a Embedded Answers (Cloze) question type with five MULTICHOICE.

Know, let us consider for each of the 5 MULTICHOICE we have 3 possible answers (A, B, and ?)

If A is the correct answer for all 5 questions, scoring 1, B is worth -2, and ? 0.

I am giving a penalty for the wrong answer while leaving an option if you are not sure. 

In such scenario, I would like a maximum of 5 points and a minimum of 0, not -10.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Don's answer is wrong in several respects: E.g. this works wih single response multiple choice questions.

Where to you get stuck? You can just do this. https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/Quiz_quick_guide may help.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by SIDDHARTH SHUKLA -
Thank you Tim and Don.

I am planning to conduct a 100 marks quiz of 100 questions in which a candidate will get 1 mark for correct answer and minus 1/4 for incorrect answers.

So I am willing to implement this negative marking system.

I am confused as to how I should setup this negative marking system. 

This system is necessary so that students can answer only if they know answers.

Please suggest.

THanks.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by benjamin de caluwe -

Tim, 

Today I stumbled upon this behaviour of negative scoring in multiple choice questions. When there is only a single answer the scoring can be negative and when there are multiple answers possible the lowest grade is 0. 

Our teachers were thinking the negative was also possible for multiple answers. Is it possible to enable the negative scoring for multiple answers somehere?