Importing grades into the gradebook locks grades under 100%

Importing grades into the gradebook locks grades under 100%

by Peter R -
Number of replies: 4

Hi All,

I have a group of over 1000 users for which i have imported results from another LMS, some users have results of 100%, some have results ranging between 1% and 99% and others are listed as 0% due to having not yet attempted the module.

After the import completes, all grades (from 0% to 100%) are locked down. This means if the user with an imported result of 60% reattempts the course, their new results will never be reflected in the gradebook, they are effectively stuck at the grade which was imported.

I understand the rationale behind locking down the grade if it is 100%, but am a little puzzled as to why grades under 100% are locked, as this results in users being unable to complete the course. Am i missing something obvious here? 

Going through 1000 users and unchecking the override button isn't an option as i have a large number of courses to import. I could remove all users with results under 100%, but that isn't ideal.  

Is there an easy way to import grades of under 100% which aren't locked down?

In reply to Peter R

Re: Importing grades into the gradebook locks grades under 100%

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Any grade imported directly into the gradebook is going to come in as locked.  In 2.8 or later, you can go to Single View and clear the override all at once by activity.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Mark McKay -

To add on to what Emma says, this applies only to activities, or categories/course totals. I guess I don't totally understand the use case, but you could import the grades into a manual item, which does not carry an override. It kind of depends on what else is in the gradebook.

-Mark

In reply to Mark McKay

by Peter R -

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses, I have now resolved the issue.

Just to provide some context: I am working in an environment where modules require a mark of 100% to pass, and have migrated all users and past results from another LMS -> Moodle. Some users have received less than 100% and need to reattempt the module. After migration, they are effectively frozen at the mark which they received on the former LMS. 

To get around the issue I simply usec excel to filter out all results of 99% and below before importing to Moodle. All results of 100% are still overridden, but this is not an issue as learners will not reattempt after receiving a result of 100%.

In reply to Mark McKay

by David Conrad -

What about if an instructor imports grades for manual items every week? Will those become locked and not update after the initial import? The instructor claims she's been doing this but recently the grades don't update. We even tried mapping one item, and the grade book doesn't change.